Friday, January 30, 2009

For Want of Wit: 1

I know what you're thinking. This could be a reeeaaaallly long post. But don't worry. I promise not to divulge all my stupidity at once...I shall regulate the dose to minimize side-effects. Even then, I'll spare you any consequential stupidity and focus only on those incidents which someone, somewhere, might find entertaining.

Snow in Chattanooga is rare, so when it does fall, life comes to a stand still...in the most literal sense. At first, all of us transplanted northerners who were attending school there were disappointed. "What do you mean everything is closed?! It's only a couple inches!! We have the day off and no place to go!" Little did we know this presented us with unlimited opportunities.

However, being the resourceful, adventurous people we were, it didn't take long for a scheme to form. Though I don't remember being part of the planning, I was fortunate enough to participate in its execution!

One of the northern dudes just happened to own a jeep, another just happened to have an inflated innertube, while another had a long and sturdy rope. After dark, we tied the innertube to the back of the jeep and pulled each other around the streets of Chattanooga. Yep...the streets! No one was on them! No ONE! Not even police officers! It was some of the most fun I've ever had...even though I ended up in the ER.

How? you ask. Well...thanks for caring.

At one point, we hit a fairly large bump in the road and I went airborne, landing on my face. The impact was stunning, but I assured everyone I was unharmed and had my wits about me. All were relieved until they saw blood streaming down my face! Because I was freezing cold, I didn't realize that the impact had split open my forehead just above my right eyebrow.

A couple hours and about 14 stitches later I really was fine. That is, until the next morning when I saw myself in the mirror. I worried for weeks about permanent damage to my face (feel free to abstain from sarcastic remarks here). In the end, all I have to show for it is a tiny scar which only shows itself when I get a sunburn.

The moral: Stupid = Fun

2 comments:

Terri said...

I want pictures of that night! Oh, I imagine all our children will learn from your adventure and create some "stupid fun" of their own someday!

Terri A said...

Sure wish there were pictures of that night! I am sure stories like these will keep our children from having "stupid fun" in college. Hmmmmm, doubt it!
Great story and memory.