Monday, December 26, 2011

Subconsciously Brilliant

Why is it that my most brilliant and profound thoughts come to me in those ethereal moments when I'm hovering halfway between reality and dreamland?  It's unfortunate, really.  Complex problems, thoughts, philosophies, relationships, and ideas which have occupied and baffled my waking mind, come sharply into view, presenting workable solutions, fresh arguments, clear pathways...and stunning blog posts, I might add.  Yet somehow, all that brilliance, profundity and clarity evaporate upon the assumption of full consciousness, leaving behind only the memory of brilliance and the exhilaration of the experience.  The substance?  Gone forever.  Sigh...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, why is that? I have a small tablet and pen to write down things that come to mind. Then I can sleep well because I know if I didn't write it down I would fret that I wouldn't remember it in the morning--and sure enough, I wouldn't remember it. Of course with you, that might end up taking more time at night. You have more thoughts and ideas running around in your mind. ;-} Joanie

Oriana said...

I sleep in a bunk bed, so I'm able to keep a pad and pencil in the slats above my head... Yes, many midnights spent with a penlight between my teeth as I write down the words in my head.

Lori Waggoner said...

I have kept pen and paper by my bed before...but I am literally half asleep and by the time I wake myself up to write it down, it's gone. Maybe not the whole idea, but the perfect wording, the clear sense of what I wanted to say...GONE. Someday we'll be able to wire our brainwaves to a hard drive and download even while we sleep. Until then, I suppose the full extent of my brilliance will remain hidden from all but myself. :-/