Monday, July 16, 2012

Musical Monday: Alabama Shakes

I must acknowledge my friend, Annie, who introduced me to Alabama Shakes back in November before they hit it big.  She's a genius, that Annie.  They have a soulful, bluesy sound from days gone by and yet they're imminently hip.

So here's a little song they perform in a coat closet...yeah...a coat closet.  Raw, unproduced, pure music.  Enjoy.
Boys & Girls



Oh why can't we be
Best friends anymore?
They say a friend
Ain't to be
Between a girl and a boy.
I don't know who said it
Or why it got to be so wrong

Oh why don't you call?
Don't you care anymore?
It's not fair;
Don't let 'em get you.
It took us both and now I got to fix you -
Well I don't know how to fix you.
They say it's just the way it's gonna be, but how so?

Why
Is an awful lot of question,
And I can't give me no answer
I keep wondering on.

Oh why can't you see
That I'm not trying to be
No kind of bother?
I'm just trying to save what was left between you and me
And where we left it before they took it
And took it all
And took off.

Oh why did I let them drive a wedge between?
Well I watched it, and I didn't say nothing
And now I'm crying when I sleep.
Now I'm sayin', I'm prayin', to that sweet melody in my soul.

Why
Is an awful lot of question,
And I can't give me no answer
I keep wondering on.

I wanna know, who said it

Well who said that, oh Lord?

No comments: