Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Paleo Schmaleo!

Until Monday, I had resisted the "incredibly strong temptation" posed by the ever-popular, paleo phenomenon known as KALE.


OK.  I confess.  There was actually ZERO temptation value.  I had no desire whatsoever to try it...primarily because it is all the rage in the Paleo way of eating (which, by the way, I eschew for the simple reason that it is based on a highly-flawed philosophy, in my opinion...well, OK...the real reason is because they ban a soul from CREAM and BUTTER BACON...my dietary staples!!!)

Anyhow.  I saw a large bag of kale in the grocery store on Monday and decided to give it a go IN SPITE OF its trendy popularity.  Basically, it tastes like bitter cabbage, but I'm OK with that.  One time, I smothered it in Asiago Peppercorn dressing...another time in lemon juice, white wine vinegar, salt, and Splenda...but my favorite version was this rebellious NON-PALEO concoction:

Saute red onion in bacon grease until slightly tender.

Add kale to skillet and continue to sauté until dark green, but still somewhat firm.

Add crumbled bacon and pepper jack cheese.

Stir.  Eat.  YUM.

No comments: