Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Music Monday: Pokey

Photo courtesy of Michael Wermuth

In the summer of 2011, I missed out on every single one of the Whitaker Music Festival summer concerts at the Missouri Botanical Gardens.  Thankfully, Annie didn't miss them all and she told me I just had to give a listen to this local musician named Pokey LaFarge who had performed there...she was sure I'd like his stuff.  

Thus began my infatuation with Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three, whose latest album is being released today by Third Man Records.  His meteoric rise is much deserved and it was a pleasure to attend their family-friendly album release party on Friday night at Casa Loma Ballroom.  The band has expanded from the original 4, and is finding receptive audiences in the Important Music Cities: Austin, New Orleans, and Nashville...and of course, here in their hometown which they proudly claim.

I am a music junkie, of sorts, but not a "student"...so I don't even know what genre to assign to their style, but it seems like the kind of music both my Grandad Waggoner and Grampa Southerland would have listened to and enjoyed.  

Give 'em a go and see what you think!

3 songs from the original group:

From the new album and the fuller band:

No comments: