Monday, June 2, 2008

Letting Go

So...this morning I dropped my 14-year-old off at his new school for football Strength & Conditioning Camp, which runs M-W-F all summer from 8-10am. The whole working-out thing...that's the easy part...I'm totally good with that. His body has finally matured structurally to the point where it's ready, and mentally he's ready too. It's kind of fun watching him "strut his stuff" - and he doesn't really have much "stuff" yet...but he hopes to...and soon!

For me, the hard part is this. Grant has been in a school whose entire enrollment (K-12) is lower than the Freshman class alone at his new school. I've been heavily involved in one capacity or another at his previous school, and I've known each and every family well. Suddenly, I am dropping him off with a bunch of strangers. I don't know the kids, the coaches, or the families.

I'm not extremely anxious or anything...this seems like a timely and appropriate milestone in the larger picture of granting him independence and letting him grow up. It's even kind of exciting. But it's strange nevertheless. Who will he hook up with? Will he be liked? Will he fit in? Will he change his values and beliefs? Will he be successful? Is he prepared for success? Is he prepared for failure? Will he be a leader or a follower? Will he respect his coaches and teachers? Does he possess the necessary blend of confidence and humility to go "out there" on his own? Can he withstand temptation, peer pressure, the desire to be accepted?

Compared to the letting go I'll have to do in the future, this is only a baby step, but it is my first step. So as I drove away with a tear in my eye (I'm getting sappy in my old age), I prayed that he will take hold of the truth he's been privileged to know and that it will take root in his heart...that it will translate into a life well-lived among his peers...that he will be a blessing to his coaches and teammates...that he will care about those kids who struggle...that he will align himself with those more mature and godly than himself from whom he can learn...and that he will fill whatever role he is given by God and others with humility, patience, and love.

And then...that he'll kick some serious football butt! Well...I won't pray for that part, but I'll secretly hope for it!

3 comments:

Brandy said...

This post made my eyes tear up too! I think about this so much with my 4 boys. I feel like I am laying the foundation right now (while they are young) and I hope and pray I am doing it right!

Lori Waggoner said...

You are laying the foundation now, Brandy, and the only "right" way to do it is in faith, knowing they belong to the Lord and trusting Him for the outcome!

Brandy said...

Amen! Thanks for the reminder. I wanted to ask you something offline. Can you post your e-mail address or e-mail me at brandysexton@gmail.com?