Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Summertime in STL #1

St. Louis' Skyline The city view from the front of the Hilton

Summertime in St. Louis is synonomous with Cardinals baseball, so my first report on fun things to do in STL will naturally be about baseball. Sorry April, Angie....

Our family headed downtown on Saturday about 2pm for a 6:15 game. Why so early? Well, once a year we go to a game and spend the night across the street from the stadium at the Ballpark Hilton. This is one of the few benefits of being married to a traveling man...free hotels.

Our hotel as seen from our stadium seats

The interior of this particular Hilton has been recently remodeled in a very sleek and modern decor...it looks like it would be more at home in NY City than in STL. They live up to their name "Ballpark Hilton" quite well. Each gathering space, hallway and room is full of B&W photos and memoribilia spanning the storied history of the Cardinals' franchise.

A room with a view

This one was taken through our hotel room window!

The hotel was packed and so was the pool...so we hung out in our room and watched ESPN until 5:30, when we walked across to the new Busch Stadium. I'll refrain from once again voicing my displeasure with the new design, amenities, etc. In spite of all that, I just love the sights, sounds and smells of baseball.

The outside architecture is beautiful, though unoriginal

A light rain began to fall during the second inning and didn't relent until the 8th or 9th inning, but fortunately our seats were just under an overhang, so we stayed put the whole time. We lost the game dreadfully to a team that is traditionally not very accomplished, yet to whom we traditionally lose - the Pittsburgh Pirates. Oh, well. I walked away with a really cute lime green tote with the STL insignia, so all was not in vain!

My lovely companions: Steve, Grant and Eric

2 comments:

jennifer h said...

This PA girl watched the Cardinals beat Pittsburgh on Friday night with a group of Cardinals fan. My feeling was that no matter who won, I would leave happy. Though I must confess I was a little happier that the Cardinals beat the Pirates than I thought I would be.

Thanks for sharing the great photos. I really like the one from your hotel room. The one of your 3 compadres isn't bad either ;)

Lori Waggoner said...

That's how Steve feels when the Cards play the Giants. He grew up as an avid Giants fan, but couldn't help but like the Cards when he moved here. So, either way he's O-K.

Grant wanted a photo to guage whether or not he's taller than his dad yet! Almost...