Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Little Things

Sunday evening as I updated my church family on my brother's condition and implored their continued prayers for him, I also gave thanks that all his organs are still working. After I said that, I wondered if it seemed to others that I was desperately grasping for a "silver lining" in the midst of the havoc that this cancer is wreaking on his body.

Truth is, I'm not grasping. As many of Jeffrey's physical abilities and strengths have waned, and as I see his body wasting away, I can't help but be aware of those bodily functions that are still doing what they're supposed to. Since his first diagnosis, he's had cancer in his liver, kidneys, lungs, and other organs, yet they are still doing their jobs. I'm not silly enough to believe that it will always be so, but FOR TODAY, his lungs work and I'm thankful. FOR TODAY, his kidneys work and I'm thankful. FOR TODAY, his pancreas works and I'm thankful. These "little things" are suddenly momentous.

I'm also thankful for the small miracles performed every day through modern medicine. Though they are mediated through doctors and science, the fact is, they are nevertheless a manifestation of God's unfailing grace toward humanity!

The most recent developments in Jeffrey's situation:
He experienced his first broken bone this week - a rib. This is probably the first of many to come because the cancer is all through his skeleton. His reaction: "I'm glad it's only a broken rib." Because it was causing difficulty with his breathing, he was afraid his lungs were filling with fluid, making the diagnosis of a broken bone a welcome one.

Yesterday he ended up in the hospital for a few hours because he couldn't open his eyes or move his head without throwing up (imagine heaving with a broken rib). He was extremely dizzy and the one time he attempted to stand, he "collapsed" in Dawnn's arms. He couldn't eat or drink even a sip of water without losing it. At the hospital, they hydrated him intravenously and were able to subdue both the vertigo and the nausea. Everyone's fear was that the cancer had begun to invade the brain, so the docs did a scan...FOR TODAY, his brain is clear and we're all thankful!

My dad and my brother, Richard, lifted him into the van and headed for home about 8pm last night. By midnight he was able to eat, and keep down, a carton of yogurt.

If you would, keep him in your prayers. Also remember his wife, who labors tirelessly and uncomplainingly by his side day after day and night after night, while still raising 3 little ones. Pray for his girl, Cierra, who is very aware of Daddy's sickness and who faces a little boy at school every day who laughs cause her daddy has cancer.

I know these posts about Jeffrey are a bit of a downer, and I know it's a lot bigger deal to me than to any of you, but in some small way it helps me to tell what's going on and to know that many of you care enough to pray.

9 comments:

Jessie said...

We are praying with and for you guys! I am so glad that you do share - it IS very important, though it breaks my heart each time I read. We especially will remember little Cierra now. May grace and peace be with you all.

Angie B. said...

Our family has been and will continue to pray for Jeffrey. Thank you for the update--I was wondering how he was doing.

Brandy said...

I am so glad that you take time to fill us in. We are glad to help bear your burden. I am so sad about the little boy at school. We will pray about that situation too.

Jeff Meyers said...

At first I thought: It must be hard for you to write this. But then I realized who good it is for you and Jeffrey. You get to express your grief, frustration, etc. Always a good thing. It's never good to hold it in. But we also get updates and can know more this way that if we asked you in the hallway of church: how's jeffrey doing. That's good too. So thanks for writing all of this out. Sometimes I've held back from asking you how he was because I didn't think it was the appropriate time to ask. Having it here is really helpful. If we can't trust God with the death of our friends and loved ones, then what's the use of trusting him for anything else?

Mrs. Bozarth said...

I'm praying for Jeffrey and his family- that makes me so sad about the little boy at school.

Lori Waggoner said...

Thank you all for your support and your encouraging words. It means everything to me.

The Boojes said...

Thanks for the update, Lori!

jennifer h said...

Still praying.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Lori. We will never tire of hearing you express in words what is on your heart--especially when it is a beloved family member.
It is a privilege to pray with you for Jeff and his family--and that little insensitive brat--I mean boy at school. Joanie