Saturday, February 14, 2009

Words of Love

There is no land so sacred, no air so pure and so wholesome
As is the air she breathes, and the soil that is pressed by her footsteps.
Here for her sake will I stay, and like an invisible presence
Hover around her forever, protecting, supporting her weakness.
from Longfellow's Miles Standish

I've got a tattoo with her name right through my soul
And I think everything she touches turns to gold.
from Guy Clark's Stuff That Works

They look'd up to the sky whose floating glow
Spread like a rosy ocean, vast and bright;
They gazed at the glittering sea below,
Whence the broad moon rose circling into sight;

They heard the waves splash, and the wind so low,
And saw each other's dark eyes darting light
Into each other - and beholding this,
Their lips drew near, and clung into a kiss;

A long, long kiss, a kiss of youth, and love,
And beauty, all concentrating like rays
Into one focus, kindled from above;
Such kisses as belong to early days,
Where heart, and soul, and sense, in concert move,
And the blood's lava, and the pulse a blaze,
Each kiss a heart-quake, - for a kiss's strength,
I think, must be reckon'd by its length.
from Lord Byron: Passionate Romantic

from Shakespeare's Romeo & Juliet

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, Lori, you dress up your man and start spouting poetry! Is this love? Must be!

Lori Waggoner said...

Ha ha!

Reading and memorizing poetry is one of my secret indulgences. I couldn't bring myself to comment on any of it, because this reveals a side of me that no one sees and about which I am a bit shy. And everyone thinks I'm such a gruff old codger... ;-)