Monday, April 20, 2009

A Long Time Coming

I'm sure you're all thrilled to know that The Snooty Cook has returned from a lengthy sabbatical.

This mushroom wine sauce, another of my "grand" experiments (you remember...the "Hey, I'm having company. Why not serve something I've never made before...and why not skip the recipe thing and just make it up as I go?" thing), turned out better than I had hoped...and I don't think I've EVER said that about one of my personal creations! Here's hoping I wrote it down correctly as I made it. It was the perfect complement to Filet Mignon, Roasted Asparagus and Garlic-Chive Mashed Potatoes.

Portabella Wine Sauce



Saute:
4 x-large portabella mushrooms, roughly diced
1 1/2 T. minced garlic
Bacon grease from 6 slices


Stir in:
1 c. beef boullion broth
1/3 c. soy sauce
2/3 c. balsamic vinegar
1 c. port (I used Mt. Pleasant)

Boil for 3-4 minutes to reduce slightly. Then whisk in a mixture of:

2 T. cornstarch
1/3 c. water
Boil until thick enough to coat a spoon.

Enough sauce for 6-8 servings.

This can be prepared 1-3 days in advance and heated just before serving.

2 comments:

jennifer h said...

I don't know . . . this sounds snooty enough, but I'm not sure that is has enough steps in it to be "snooty cook" material.

Lori Waggoner said...

Trust me...it TASTES sufficiently snooty to qualify!