Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Psalm 130

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Yahweh.
Lord, hear my voice!
Let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplication.
If thou, Yahweh, shouldst mark iniquity,
Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with thee
That thou mayest be feared.
I wait for Yahweh. My soul doth wait,
And in his Word do I hope.
My soul waits for Yahweh more than the watchmen for the morning;
Yes, more than the watchmen for the morning.
O Israel, trust in Yahweh!
For with Yahweh there is lovingkindness
And with him is plenteous redemption.
And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

This is my most recent memorization (remember my resolution?), but I'm not in this one alone. My friend, Joanie, who publicly declared (on this very blog) her desire to memorize a Psalm, is working on it too!

Gloriae Dei Cantores sings a stunningly beautiful version of this Psalm on their album "Thou Art My Refuge." This entire album was introduced to me by my blogosphere friend, Angie Brennan, and has been a tremendous source of comfort and strength the last 8 months. I highly recommend it! Because the lyrics aren't metrical, but word for word, it's a great way to memorize the Psalms without even realizing you're doing it! Check 'em out on i-Tunes.

1 comment:

Angie B. said...

Glad you've enjoyed the album!

Here is another chant album I like, called "Psalms for the Spirit." (I've linked the mp3 download version). Psalm 42 on this album is one of my favorites. The burial sentences are gorgeous as well. (The lyrics to those are the first three paragraphs here)