Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Butterfly Circus

I am going to break with recent tradition and forego today's Wordsmith post.  I'm kinda partial to the tradition, so this is not a permanent abandonment.

A couple years ago, I gave an endorsement for the film, Bella, and its star, Eduardo Verastegui.  The stories of both the film and the actor are compelling.  May I suggest you pursue both?!  (The links I provided previously have expired, but you can Google his name and find loads of information.)

In the meantime, I was introduced last night to this short film, The Butterfly Circus, which also stars Verastegui and whose story beautifully conveys the power of The Gospel (thanks, Alicia!).  It's 20 minutes long, but I'm pretty sure you won't regret watching it.



Seeing this, prompted me to investigate what the actor is doing these days.  Seems he's the real deal...only accepting acting jobs that don't conflict with his beliefs, and doing good works in Darfur and Haiti, among other places.  I don't know about you, but I find it particularly uplifting to find someone in the public eye who chooses to boldly swim against the tide.  

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

Cool! Bella is available for instant play on Netflix - we'll be watching it soon! Thanks for the suggestion!

Nelson said...

Oh oh oh! Bella is a great movie. I remember talking about this with you in your kitchen a few years ago. Remember? They came to campus here to show the movie and I go to meet Eduardo, such a great and humble man of God :)

Nelson said...

Oh oh oh! Just started watching the movie...that's Nick! I know him! The man with no arms or legs. He has been here to campus, too. He has an amazing ministry, traveling and speaking. I've heard him several times in the last couple years and he challenges my faith and brings me to tears every time.

Can you believe this? He can golf, swim, type really fast, and many other things!

Here is his website:
http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/

Nelson said...

Okay, I just have to leave ONE MORE comment...What a beautiful short film!

So, yes you can see he can swim, haha :)

The end reminded me of when Nick was here to speak one night last year...he stood at the front while anyone who wanted to went forward to give him a hug. It was so strange but special to hug someone who couldn't hug you back (although he does, with his head and shoulder). He was hugged by about a hundred of us that night. It was so neat!

Lori Waggoner said...

Nelson. You have officially exceeded your alloted # of comments for the month...in the span of an hour. :-)

Love you, Missy! Thanks for the link to Nick's website. I'll check it out!

Glad you enjoyed some of the other posts as well. Miss you, as always.