Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Submission to the Will of the Lord

More wisdom from John Newton:

"It is not necessary for me to be rich, or what the world accounts as wise; to be healthy, or admired by my fellow-worms; to pass through life in a state of prosperity and outward comfort; these things may be, or they may be otherwise as the Lord in his wisdom shall appoint; but it is necessary for me to be humble and spiritual, to seek communion with God, to adorn my profession of the Gospel, and to yield submissively to his disposal, in whatever way he shall be pleased to call me to glorify him in the world. It is not necessary for me to live long, but highly expedient that whilst I do live I should live to him. Here then I would bound my desires; and here, having his word both for my rule and my warrant, I am secured from asking amiss. Let me have his presence and his Spirit, wisdom to know my calling, and opportunities and faithfulness to improve them; and as to the rest, Lord, help me to say, 'What thou wilt, when thou wilt, and how thou wilt.'"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice quote - a good perspective-refresher!

Lori Waggoner said...

Yes, indeed.

There was so much more to this man than "Amazing Grace!" Not that the hymn was not a profound contribution to Christendom, it certainly was...but it's significance is magnified upon examining the rest of the man's life and writings.

Thanks for stopping by.