Saturday, December 29, 2007

Soldiers Song

Last night I finished reading We Were One: The Battle for Fallujah. All I can say is that the author did not earn my respect for his writing abilities....they left more than a little to be desired, but he DID earn my respect for his willingness to embed during battle (unlike most journalist who fled when firing began), and his desire to tell the story of these courageous and very young men.

Reading this story aroused a great deal of anger in me toward the "armchair generals" and media pundits who hand down judgments about the war which are intended to mold popular opinion, while completely ignoring the reality on the ground. Shame on them.

These men are good men who see beyond themselves and risk everything on our behalf. They deserve our admiration, thanks, , prayers, respect and our support after they leave the fray.

Here is a touching video which I admit is a sentimental tribute, but it is even more poignant after reading this book. Sometimes we need to step out of our intellectual, detached evaluation of war and just remember that the real lives of real men are changed every day...that even today on the battlefield, "uncommon valor is a common virtue."

2 comments:

Angie B. said...

Lori: would you recommend this book for teenagers? I'm wondering whether it would be appropriate for my 10th grade son (who is interested in the military and considering applying to West Point eventually).

Hope your work in New Orleans goes well, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Angie, it depends on how worldly-wise he is. The book contains numerous quotes from soldiers, some of which are less-than-edifying; however, it would offer your son a taste of the culture into which he would be venturing. There is a fair bit of "crude language." I THINK I would let my 14 year old read it, if he wanted to...so there is my hesitant endorsement for your son.

JJM has read it too, and since he knows you better than I, he might offer you a different perspective.