Sunday, January 20, 2008

At Least We Still Have Yadi!

Jocketty...Edmonds...Eckstein...Rolen. See ya', boys. There's a new sheriff in town and he's takin' 'em out...one by one. Mr. Mozeliak, I hope you know what you're doing. 'Cause Jocketty did.

I know it was time for Edmonds to go, but he had an incredible run as a Cardinal and it's hard to sever the attachment to "Jimmy Baseball." It just won't be the same without him. I would have liked to see him retire as a Cardinal.

Eckstein was everything a Cardinal should be, and won us all over with his energy, work ethic and talent. Who can forget the way he sprinted out to his position every inning, vaulting himself across the pristine baseline so as not to spoil it?

Before he was "tackled" on the baseline a couple of years ago, destroying his shoulder, Rolen was as near perfect a player as I've ever seen. Remember his 2003 and especially his 2004? Nothing short of incredible. I wonder if he'll ever fully recapture his former range, agility and power...I hope so. Nothing against Tony, but I would've picked "Scooter" over him anyday!

Yeah, I'm waxing a bit sentimental about losing these guys who formed a sturdy core for the last several years.

So...is 26-year-old Yadi prepared to be a senior player and leader for the Cards? He has shown a penchant for leadership since he first entered the big league 3 years ago. Of course, I attribute much of this to his mentor, Mike Matheny, but I'm not sure anyone can create a leader. Innate qualities must be present before they can be refined and matured. It appears that Molina has those qualities plus he strikes a well-balanced blend of confidence and humility.

The Cardinals organization has prepared an offer for Yadi that doesn't seem to reflect a full appreciation for the combination of his impact as a leader on the field and his stellar stats. Though I'm not often crazy about MLB's exhorbitant salaries, in this case, I hope the judge favors Molina in arbitration! He's worth every penny.

Who do we have left?

Well, there's always Albert. It feels like he had a "down" year, but his numbers are still remarkably consistent with previous years and there's no denying he is a phenomenon. Although I sometimes read arrogance into his baseball disposition, I can't help but admire his and Deidre's commendable work on behalf of folks with Down's Syndrome.

Rick Ankiel has signed...that's a good thing. How can you not respect the long, difficult road this guy has traversed to get back here? Plus, he's downright exciting to watch!

Izzy's still here. Whoo-hoo. He did a pretty darn good job last year, but I still lack the confidence I had in him during his first season or two as the Cardinal closer.

I admire fan favorites Aaron Miles, So Taguchi, and recording-artist, Scott Spiezio. They are all consistent contributors to the team and we need them back. (Spezio's band, Sandfrog, is releasing a new album called "Off Season" chronicling his struggle with depression and addiction...I strongly prefer his baseball performances to his musical ones!)

I'll be interested to watch newcomer, Glaus, whose skills and attitude I have admired in the past (through admittedly-limited exposure). But c'mon...how bad can a guy be whose baseball idol is the venerable Cal Ripken?

As for pitching...do we even HAVE any pitchers? I mean, besides #29 who won't be back until July. Seriously. Do we?

Regardless of the team's make-up, the STL tradition of baseball is inescapable and transcends a particular player, roster or season, so the inevitable has arrived. It's almost time to report to Spring Training and....

ONLY 71 DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for Cardinal basefall-whoever is in the red and white uniforms!!

Anonymous said...

Green Seat-Snob: REAL fans don't HAVE to be in the green seats to enjoy a game...

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't know:-)

(JK-I grew up going to Cardinal games from the free tickets that the school districts gave to honor roll students and LOVED it!! Nosebleed, baby!!)