Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tagged - For the Very First Time

So my friend, Angie, over at Bloggin-Dazs, tagged me to answer some questions. Failure to comply will supposedly result in gloom, agitation, and confusion for 3 weeks...as if that's something out of the ordinary? And even worse, I will notice a downward trend in blog hits from unique IP addresses. Well, not as long as Mark Horne keeps linking to me...HOLY COW! This guy drummed up hundreds of new hits for me last week. So, Angie, ya think ya got more power than Mark? Let's not find out. I'll cooperate.

Here we go:

1. Are you rooting for the Patriots or Giants?
a. Go Giants!
b. Go Patriots!
c. No strong feelings either way, but should be a good game
d. The what?

My answer: a & b! Although I'm a bit ahead of Angie in actually knowing this game is coming up on Sunday, truth is, I don't really care who wins. I know the names of exactly 2 players on each team: Peyton Manning & Michael Strahan for New York (just kidding...I know it's Eli), Tom Brady and Randy Moss for New England (each of whom has one foot in the grave, no?) That's it. I haven't watched one game this year. Clueless. That's me.

The picture below (from my old college days scrapbook) represents the last time I followed the NFL. You know, back before end-zone dances and "it's-all-about-me" guys like TO.

So, do you know who these guys in the picture are? Do ya? Huh? Do ya?

If you said "that's the great duo of Joe Montana (# 16 left) and Roger Craig ( #33 right)" then you would be right and you would move up a notch or two in my book for recognizing them. Quite frankly, the game of football just isn't as good as it used to be and thus provides little inducement to fit it into my schedule. There is no Joe Montana (and never will be), no Jerry Rice, no Roger Craig, and definitely no Bill Walsh; I'm not even sure there's a Ronnie Lott or Dwight Clark. (And no, Danny, neither my husband nor son had anything to do with this post!)

So hey...it may not be great, but it's still football...and there's always the half-time show, plus the food and company (25 at our house) will be great!!

2. Seven choices of vacation. Pick one:

a. Beach house, white sand, great waves

b. Condo in the mountains; view of snowy peaks

c. Nice hotel in NYC with tickets to the latest Broadway show

d. Historic tour of Greece and Italy

e. Bed and breakfast with time for antiquing

f. Home - sleeping in, hanging out, adn doing stuff you usually don't have time to do

g. I prefer not to take vacations.

I'm going with my instincts on this one. If I think about it too much, I'll never be able to choose! They're all appealing, except for "G"!!

My answer: a! Remember this house near Monterey? This is where I want to go and spend a week with the windows open, smelling the ocean, reading, writing, browsing through used book shops, eating great seafood and watching the sun set.

3. Coffee drinker? If no, why? If yes, sugar, cream, or neither?

My answer: Yes, yes and yes. I love a cup of bold tasting coffee, but I like to cut it with some heavy cream and, if it needs it, a little Sweet 'N Low.

4. What's the last book you read?

My answer: Nothing by Walker Percy, that's for sure! Of his books I have only read The Moviegoer, which I found quite dreadful. Maybe I'll have to consider Angie's recommendation for Love in the Ruins.

ANYWAY....on to what I HAVE read! In the last week or so I finished A Table in the Mist, a commentary on Ecclesiastes by Jeff Meyers; I quickly re-read What's Wrong with the World by G.K. Chesterton; and I am still finishing up The Kite Runner...which I had laid aside for a few days because, so far, the movie followed the book exactly, so I considered not finishing it...but I can't do it...I have to finish.

5. You're at the grocery store waiting in the check-out line with a cart full of stuff. You glance over your shoulder for a moment, wondering whether you should have picked up an extra package of waffles. When you turn back around, you notice that a lady has cut in front of you in line. Your eyes meet. She glowers and starts unloading her items on the belt. You...

a. Grumble to yourself but don't say anything out loud. You dislike scenes.

b. Say, "Excuse me, ma'am, but I was next in line." That's as far as you take it though.

c. March over to the belt, push her items onto the floor, and tell her that she and her cream of mushroom soup can go get in line like everybody else.

d. Grab your cell phone and snap a picture of the lady, thinking, "Yes! I've got something good to blog about!"

My answer: On a good day, when I've timed things right, it probably woundn't even phase me. I might even say something pleasant. HOWEVER, on a bad day, my answer is a. My grumble would go something like this: "No, please, go ahead. No...really. I'm sure you didn't see my ample body and heaping cartful of low-carb delights just standing here RIGHT OUT IN THE FREAKING OPEN NEXT TO THE CONVEYOR BELT!!! But please...go ahead. I'm in no hurry. Really...I'm just a stay-at-home mom, what the hell else do I have to do besides stand in line at the grocery store? Care to call a friend or two and see if they'd like to join you IN CUTTING ME OFF! It's fine...really. My kids don't care if I pick them up on time at school anyway. No, really...go ahead."

Then I would stand marveling at how such a little, tiny thoughtless act can arouse such hostility in me...where did THAT come from?

6. Please share 2 or 3 links of things that made you laugh. Out loud.

My answer: This video of women falling down cracks me up! My friend, April, tells of a humiliating moment here (I guess this is funny even if you don't know her...but it's REALLY funny if you do!) And finally....I'm really not a brown-noser, but this post at Bloggin-Dazs is more than a little entertaining! (I should warn: it also contains some serious content, but the opening and the opthamology suggestions are a hoot!)

LOL...I did!

5 comments:

Jessie said...

Lori, for what its worth, I thought Love in the Ruins was wackier than The Moviegoer.

jennifer h said...

Fun post. I especially liked the scrapbook page from the NFL in days gone by.

Thanks for the link to Angie's post about her grandma. I missed it somehow, and it was really enjoyable

Angie B. said...

Thanks for participating, Lori. I'm glad you'll be able to avoid that gloom and agitation.

My eyes glazed over at your first answer (football/shmootmall), but I woke up from my daze at #2. Even though I'm not a beach person, your reading/writing/book-shopping trip sounds pretty nice! Hope you get to do it.

>>Maybe I'll have to consider Angie's recommendation for Love in the Ruins<<

Well...what I said is that it's my favorite Percy work so far. I didn't go so far as to recommend it. It depends on who would be reading it. Hopefully I'll get around to blogging about it soon.

LOL to #5! And more LOL's to the falling down video. I think my favorite was the Tarzan woman.

But the hands-down winner of the LOL award goes to...April and her snow cones. Oh, man.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jessie: Yikes! That's saying something! Are we just too young to appreciate these? (Do ya like how I lumped myself in with you even though we're in different decades?)

Jennifer: I thought the "Dr. Pope" stuff was just too clever. Glad you enjoyed it.

Angie: I guess "my favorite so far" really doesn't imply favor, does it? And in this case it apparently meant, "it's not as bad as the rest of them."

Can you believe April would even tell that story on herself? I still have a shred of pride left and could NEVER go public with that kind of story!

Anonymous said...

Loved your answers - So glad Angie tagged you so I could make my first visit to your blog! :-) Looking forward to returning soon...

:)
~Nettie~