Friday, January 25, 2008

A Table in the Mist II

"God," we are told in I Kings 4, "gave Solomon wisdom and understanding beyond measure, and breadth of mind like the sand of the seashore...he was wiser than all other men..."
I confess I have often been puzzled when reading Ecclesiastes under some of the common interpretive models. A Table in the Mist provides a great service to the people of God who want to hear, and maybe even understand, God's message as delivered through Solomon. Here is what I gleaned from the Shepherd-King, Solomon, under the tutelage of under-shepherd, Pastor Jeff Meyers.

1. We are not in control.
Who among us doesn't already know this...philosophically? One of the great tenants of the Reformed faith, to which we proudly cling, is the Sovereignty of God. Although I acknowledge his control in daily life as well as in death or great calamity, my expectations and disappointments in matters of smaller import reveal that I really believe some things are in MY hand.

But the truth is, no matter how hard I work, or to what noble ends, this work is eventually left to another and I have no control over what happens to it. It may be discarded, squandered, misused, misunderstood, dismantled, ignored or even used against me.

I cannot always "fix" that which is broken and continual efforts to do so, with the expectation that my efforts must be fruitful, is as frustrating as trying to corral the wind.

Solomon's conclusion: DO IT ANYWAY, leaving the outcome in God's hand.

2. Life doesn't always make sense.
The young die. The wicked prosper and are happy. Justice is withheld. Rulers oppress the lowly. Children are abused. The righteous man sins.

Bottom line: we live under a curse and frequently experience life as judgment, injustice and death. Life is beyond our ability to comprehend. We cannot make sense of circumstances, events, people, even our own selves! Mankind is mysterious and depraved..."bent hnau" (as Lewis brilliantly tags us) and that which is crooked cannot be made straight. Solomon tells us repeatedly that "you do not know" and "you cannot find it out." No matter how diligently we seek to bring about change or to understand life, it will elude us.

Solomon's conclusion: DO IT ANYWAY, looking to God for final and faithful judgments.

3. The wisdom we do acquire along the way is limited and vulnerable.
Any measure of success - money, notoriety, influence, faithful children, etc. - can dissipate in a moment. Even wisdom itself is easily overcome by folly. No matter how healthy, wealthy or wise you are; no matter how hard you work; no matter how heartily you seek for and gain wisdom; it is all easily destroyed by another man's sin or even your own sin or death.

Solomon's conclusion: DO IT ANYWAY, giving generously of your time, love, money and wisdom while you have it.

In his long and diligent search to know what is good for man, Solomon's ultimate conclusion is this:

1. Fear, trust and rest in God.
2. Work vigorously.
3. Enjoy and share His good gifts (food, wine, love & laughter).

This great oversimplification of Ecclesiastes (mine, not JJM's), represents the truths and conclusions which I hope will transform my own heart.

5 comments:

"Mr. Dad" said...

Yes, this sounds like the two-pronged "mystery" of God's sovereignty coupled with man's responsibility. As it has been aptly put: "Pray as if it all depends on God" (it does), "and work as if it all depends on man" (it does).

Viewing all of this through the "lens" of Scripture, I suppose it's not too terribly difficult or even "mysterious" to believe that a sovereign God can, does and will accomplish His sovereign purposes through the ordinary means of "working in us both to will and to do His good pleasure" (Phil. 2:12, 13; see Eph. 2:10).

And— why would we want any other "god" than that?

Angie B. said...

Good post, Lori! I'm linking to it in my "Tidbits" sidebar.

Lori Waggoner said...

Mr. Dad, the only distinction I might make is that it is more than the "responsibility" of man, which, at least for me, carries the idea of drudgery and obligation. The perspective of wisdom is that this "duty of work" is itself a JOY when I place both it and myself in the proper context and relationship to
God and others.

I think the duality here exists more in the reality that our duty is simultaneously an "unhappy business" and a source of great joy. Does that make sense? I know what I mean, but I'm not sure I'm communicating it very well.

Angie - THANKS!!

"Mr. Dad" said...

Yes, I think you are communicating that well, particularly if you mean that if we really are trusting and resting in God, then even the "obligatory" parts of life will have a Christian "joy" aspect inherent in them, since they too (this "unhappy business") are part of God's (good) sovereignty. Easier said than done, oftentimes. But true nonetheless.

Lori Waggoner said...

As I thought about this more (something I should learn to do before blurting!), I think what I wanted to say is that it's about more than a theological formulation...it's about life and living.

But I think you understood me anyway. And yes...it certainly is easier said than done!