Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Because I Know You Care

So...I turned 43 a few days ago. Birthdays are not a really big deal to me...never have been. But it was kinda fun being spoiled this year by people I love and who apparently love me.
My long time faithful friend, whose greatest gift is sticking with me for the past 15 years, took me to one of my favorite breakfast spots where I had a Bacado Omelet and the perfect cup of coffee.
And her daughter handmade this keychain for me which all the really cool/stylish moms have. What was she thinking? She's just trying to help me move in the cool direction. Lord have mercy...it's gonna take a lot more than a stylin' keychain. But it IS a start, right?! I love it. It's nice and big and I have a bit of a reputation for losing my keys...daily. Maybe this will help (?).


Other gifts I received from friends and family:
A good bottle of Cabernet
A "message fan" which flashes several versions of "Go Cardinals" while simultaneously protecting me from the St. Louis heat and humidity


My very own - keep your grubby little paws OFF - frosty Cardinal mug

A B&N giftcard to purchase these two books:

But here's where the REALLY spoiled part comes in. My husband, whom I recently and publicly denounced as a man who never surprises me.....very secretly and successfully orchestrated a fun weekend away with another couple. Here's what we did:
Sat in the Green Seats for the rubber game of the Cards/Cubs series! This of course, means a gourmet buffet followed by unlimited food and drink throughout the game:

Since we couples bowl together regularly - and actually enjoy it - we decided to try out the swanky new bowling alley in the Loft District of Washington Avenue. Whoa. Very cool. The owners renovated an old building, adding 8 lanes over which are mounted 4 very large TV's, showing sports and old movies.  They also have an upscale food and drink menu, including a fabulous chocolate martini!
Our new bowling motto: Know when to stop before you start.

Then we walked back to the Ballpark Hilton for the 4 hours we had left to sleep until check-out time!


Growing old isn't so bad afterall.

11 comments:

Bobber said...

What an excellent Bday!

jennifer h said...

That Steve is a great guy. Glad you had a great birthday!

Anonymous said...

Not a bad birthday for a 43 year old. You don't look that "old". Besides I am a big believer in celebrating birthdays. If you have to get old and have them anyway you really need to celebrate and have some fun too. Joanie

Lori Waggoner said...

Joanie, you're a big believer in celebrating...period. Every moment of your life looks like a party!

I agree, though, if we gotta get old...bring on the perks!

Angie B. said...

Great gifts! I'm going to keep checking back here for your "Writer of Fancy" book review...

Lori Waggoner said...

That review probably won't happen until after school starts! I have determined not to start anything else until I finish Darwin's autobiography...almost there...plus I've already begun re-reading Mansfield Park, Sayers' Letters to a Diminshed Church, and for the first time, Lewis' Beyond Personality. In addition, I still haven't read book V of the Binding of the Blade series.

Let me change my original commitment...that review probably won't happen until after Christmas! :-)

Anonymous said...

TBTB?




*too busy to blog

Lori Waggoner said...

What? It hasn't even been a week yet!

It's called VBS...:-)

Anonymous said...

I know you have VBS director disorder, but I miss it...it seems that everyone is tbtb...

Lori Waggoner said...

That's VBS CO-director disorder! A very important distinction. If everything falls apart I can blame Josh instead of myself! ;-)

I only check other people's blogs about once a week right now, and yeah, seems like I'm not the only one. I just can't sit around and think and write when the kids are home, plus we run around a lot.

I look forward to getting back to it once school starts...I HOPE!

Anonymous said...

I stand corrected and I understand completely. I am just not happy about it;(