Sunday, October 12, 2008

Decisions! Decisions!

When I have nothing intelligent to say (which may be all the time...but sometimes I think I have something intelligent to say!), I journal about "fluff" in hopes of not losing my regular visitors. So, get ready for fluff:
I drive a 1997 station wagon that I really like (in spite of its beat-up appearance), but my husband insists she's on her last leg. I know he's right and she is rapidly becoming a Money Pit, so it's definitely time to make a change, but it's not easy to go pick out a car when you're already satisfied with what you have.
At least I was satisfied until I started test-driving these other guys! I had no idea what I was missing out on! Here's what we've narrowed it down to:
2005 Dodge Durango / 8-passenger / V-8 Hemi

This baby definitely has the market on POWER! For that reason alone, it is my absolute favorite!! And in spite of its monstrous size, it drives small and turns on a dime. The Consumer Reports are less than favorable in one or two areas, though personal testimonies we've read are highly positive. It's also a bit of a gas hog...

2005 Chrysler Pacifica / 6-passenger / V-6
This little guy is pure luxury inside and carries a few extra amenities, but even though he has 3 rows of seating, he only holds 6, which is our minimum requirement. The 2005 seems like it may have some serious issues, according to Consumer Reports, but it sure offered a smooth, smooth drive.

2005 Honda Pilot / 8 passenger / V-6
This gal is only in the mix because of her reputation...well, and her super high rating with Consumer Reports...well, and her excellent MPG. But that's all. Apparently there are absolutely NO problems with her. I took her for a spin as well, and though she's not as powerful as the Dodge or as luxurious as the Chrysler, she still offered a pretty nice ride. The only downer is that in spite of higher mileage than the other two, she's pricier.
Hmmm...what to do? Power? Luxury? Or Practicality? Darn! I think I just answered my own question.

7 comments:

annie said...

You don't want another volvo? Oh, wait, they don't hold 6. My mom has a honda pilot and she likes it...that back seat isn't very roomy, though.

Laura said...

The Dodge Durango is my dream car. I know this is totally cheesy but when we were dating Russ said something about wanting to get me the best of everything car etc. I told him I'd love a Dodge Durango. I love the way it drives and the way you sit up high and it rides soooo smooth. The Chevy Suburban is my other favorite.

Go for the Durango!!!!

Lori Waggoner said...

Annie - I like my Volvo a lot, but they only have 1 vehicle that seats 6, and it's an "option" so not very big at all.

I climbed in the back seat in every one of these and none of them were especially roomy. I figure it will mostly be kids and teenagers riding back there and generally speaking, they don't care.

On the few occasions we might need to cram adults back there, whatever fun we're heading to will be worth the "cramp"! How's that for rationale?!

Laura, are you kiddin' me?!! I never envisioned you in a sporty, high-powered monstrosity! I'm shocked! So...when do you get your dream car? Btw, I remember when we were dating, Steve said he wanted to take me on a champagne hot-air balloon ride. Hmmm...still haven't seen that one. Love makes them dream big, I suppose.

jennifer h said...

Ok. I love the way my Chryslers have driven, but anything by Chrysler or Dodge (both basically the same vehicles) become money pits very quickly. The Honda is pricier because, well, it's a Honda. It will last the longest. I want a Honda Odyssey in the worst way, so I am very biased. But, why do you think the Honda got the better rating from Consumer Reports? Yes. You answered your own question.

P.S. It will be strange to not see you driving the volvo.

The Boojes said...

You are seriously considering a Dodge or Chrysler over a Honda??! Lori, I'm sorry, but I thought you had sense!

Can you tell I'm biased toward Japanese autos??

With that said - my cousins have a 2000 Durango they bought new and it's been FANTASTIC for them. Go for reliability, though. That's my vote. Honda, honda, honda all the way!!! =)

Lori Waggoner said...

You never can tell what will stir people's emotions, can you?

I find the picture of me as a hippie way more interesting than car shopping...yet no one has anything to say about that.

You never can tell...

Anonymous said...

I see you are going for a Cardinal red car. I guess you are going to have to get another magnet since your old one became one with the Volvo;)