Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Help Me, Rhonda

My friend, Rhonda, like so many of my other friends, is more comfortable around me when I'm being my usual smart-alek self. It's the occasional "nice" me that unnerves her. So, I'm warning you, Rhonda, you may just wanna leave now...'cause not only am I gonna be NICE...I'm gonna be nice ABOUT YOU. No...there's nothing wrong with me...really.

First, let me tell those of you who don't know her, a little about Rhonda. Picture this: she's the consumate Librarian/Artist. WHAT??!! Imagine the stiff and serious demeanor of your typical librarian, combine it with the egotisitical weirdness of your typical artist and....that's so NOT Rhonda. She IS wonderfully creative (she designed and created the most elaborate and gorgeous decorations for me for VBS a few years back), and she is a children's librarian who appreciates children's books, largely, because she has a delightful sense of humor!

So, she's creative, funny and a bit of a smart-alek herself. That's why I like her. Well, that...and she didn't abandon me altogether a few years back when I suggested how she might deal with her ill dog. When I put my imaginary "finger-gun" to my head and pulled the trigger, my motivation was a compassionate heart that didn't want to see him suffer anymore.

Yeah...O-K...she didn't buy that either.

Why am I telling you about Rhonda? Though she tries to hide behind a veneer of shallow ignorance, she is indeed a harbinger of profundity. (I know they don't use words like that in children's books, Rhonda. Look it up, dahling...in one of your library dictionaries.) How did I learn that behind this veneer lurks a storehouse of wisdom? She accidentally let it slip out last night while giving a "devotional" at a bridal shower! In spite of her reluctance to do this thing, Rhonda couldn't hide her creativity, her sense of humor...OR her wisdom. And she revealed all this using the medium with which she is most comfortable...a children's book!

The author uses the very common occurence of making and eating cookies to illuminate the principles of living well together. Rhonda specifically applied each of these principles to marriage, ultimately communicating the primary rule of Christian living: My Life For Yours. How many people could discover that in a children's book about making cookies? Only the wise ones...like my friend, Rhonda.

Thanks, Friend, for the conviction and the encouragement...and for saying "Yes!" (And don't hate me for being nice...it won't happen again anytime soon. I promise.)

4 comments:

jennifer h said...

Not meaning to make Rhonda all embarrassed, but I have to agree that her devotional was one of the best I've heard in the "shower" venue.

Rhonda is one of my favorite people, and she went above and beyond in this presentation. It was fun and full of truth I needed to hear all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you both--Lori and Jennifer. I think the sale of this book just increased and helped the economy AND hopefully enlightened little and big peoples hearts and minds. Thanks for taking the time to be nice Lori. It really does become you. Joanie

Angie B. said...

The important question is--does Rhonda have a blog??

I'll have to check out that children's book. I read "Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life" by Rosenthal and really enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

Lori...I'll deal with you at the end of this comment. Scary, isn't it?

Thank you all for the kind comments. I'll pay you later.

Angie, that's interesting that you mention "Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life." Just this morning I set my copy out, thinking that I would loan it to Lori because it would help her get back in touch with her inner wise guy. May help her loosen up and say what she really means. :-) That book was my introduction to Rosenthal. I'm glad she's writing children books. Check out "Little Pea." Clever.

I do have a blog, but I don't blog much. It's more of a historical record for me about what went right with library lessons or read aloud books. I know folks don't believe this, but I really am very shy. I just don't know when I will be comfortable enough to let others read my musings.

Now, Lori. First it's love poems, now saying nice things about me. What's next, are you going to offer to watch my dog when we're out of town???

Seriously, I am so touched (don't go there...) that you would write what you did about me. It was fun to do, but I'm glad it's over. Doing something like that is so much easier when you know that you are accepted, warts and all. And that's how I feel at Providence. Never have I been in a church group that so beautifully puts words into action. Never. I love being there.

When you and Debbie sat on the floor at my feet (upon my request) I knew that things were going to be okay. It may sound silly, and I don't understand why, but for some reason, that really calmed me.

I really appreciate you, Lori. Thanks for writing about your shallow ignorant friend. ;-) I'll try my best to live up to your expectations.