Tuesday, March 10, 2009

For Want of Wit: 2

I spent the last 6 years teaching Latin at a classical Christian school here in St. Louis. A teacher must always be prepared for the unexpected, including unannounced visitors. These visitors might be the headmaster who is coming to evaluate your content, technique, classroom management, etc. Maybe they are members of the school's development team looking for promotional ideas or photo-ops. They are occasionally current or, more often, prospective parents.

Over time, I got used to the idea of being observed by analytical adults and I gained a measure of confidence in my ability to teach, so I didn't worry too much about their presence in my classroom or what kind of impression I was making. I pretended they weren't there and just "did my thing."

In fact, one morning, when several adults had been sent into my classroom, I was so unaffected by their presence - lollying along in my usual dramatic teaching style - that I didn't even realize, UNTIL HALFWAY THROUGH MY LESSON, that I was carrying around and drinking my coffee from THIS cup:


Stupid.

8 comments:

Angie B. said...

Thanks for providing the first laugh of my day! Too funny.

annie said...

Ha -- I love it!

"Mr. Dad" said...

Haaa. Not stupid at all!! No way. Just another opportunity to teach Latin. See for yourself! —

cervesa, cervesae N 1 1 F [XXFEO]
beer; kind of beer;

cervesia, cervesiae N 1 1 F [XXFEO]
beer; kind of beer;

cervisiarius, cervisiaria, cervisiarium ADJ [GXXET]
beer-; made from/of beer; (Erasmus);

cervisiola, cervisiolae N 1 1 F [GXXDK]
light beer;

bracio, braciare, braciavi, braciatus V 1 1 [GXXDK]
brew beer;

So, just "blame it on Latin!" ;>)

The Boojes said...

Oh, that's funny! =) Thanks for sharing!

Brandy said...

I love it! You make me laugh :0)

jennifer h said...

The truth will set you free!

April said...

That was pretty darn funny.

Lori Waggoner said...

So glad you all are entertained by my stupidity!

Robert. You're a dork.