Monday, May 4, 2009

For Want of Wit: 3

A couple of months ago, I discovered a lovely emerald-green turtleneck buried on the racks at one of my favorite bargain clothing stores. Even though I had been searching for a garment this color for months, I couldn't bring myself to pay the asking price. I tried it on anyway, secretly hoping it wouldn't fit, making my decision easy. Darn...it fit. I decided to leave the store without it and if I still really wanted it in a week, I'd come back and see if it was still there. In these kinds of stores, things are NEVER still there. NEVER.
Except the green sweater. TWO weeks later even! Apparently it was meant to be. I bought it. I wore it. I washed it. I even dried it in the drier.

Oops. I knew the majority of the fibers were wool when I purchased it, but I routinely ignore laundering instructions because I refuse to wear clothes I can't wash in water! Actually, I got lucky. It shrank, but only a little and the sweater fit even better after that...YESSSS!

So...I wore it again. And washed it again. And dried it again. I mean...it has already shrunk, so I'm good, right?

Uh...not so much. Maybe it will fit my 8-year-old niece...MAYBE!

STUPID.

10 comments:

Brandy said...

We love you Lori! That was great :0) Jeremy says you're funny and I agree.

Angie B. said...

Hey, that's just how the young people are wearing them. You're hip when your hip shows!

Anonymous said...

That is so me to do something like that. Except I couldn't get the sweater on after I washed it. I think it looked good on the dog though. Joanie

Anonymous said...

Oh and welcome to my world of stupid or STUPID. Start getting used to the idea of doing more STUPID. The best remedy after doing STUPID is to write about it on a blog so the rest of we STUPIDS feel better or just laugh. Joanie

jennifer h said...

RE: the sweater thing--happens to me with my kids' clothes all the time lately on things that aren't supposed to shrink.

I really wanted to comment because I see you're reading My Antonia. hope you like it. It is one of my favs.

jennifer h said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debbie said...

Wow! Look at you, Skinny! From the way you are going, that sweater might end up fitting you!

Lori Waggoner said...

Angie, if I ever start showing my hips, I hope someone calls for an Intervention!

Joanie, you know I'm all about making ya'll feel better about yourselves! I'm just here to help...

Jennifer, I loved Cather's "Death Comes..." and am enjoying this one so far too. I'll let you know what I think when (if) I finish!

Debbie, I don't care what your motivation was or if you even mean it...that's my bestest comment ever. ;-)

Lori Waggoner said...

Brandy & Jeremy, didn't mean to ignore you! Thanks for stopping by and helping me fulfill my purpose of bringing a smile to someone's face!

jennifer h said...

I went on a Cather kick after reading My Antonia first. I read several other books by her and enjoyed them. I have Death Comes to the Archbishop, but each time I've tried to read it, I have had trouble getting into it. Now that I know you like it, I'll have to give it another go. It is still in the drawer of my bedside table, so I hadn't given up all hope for it yet anyway.