Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Nov 10 - A Day for Peace & Wordsmithing

Today, as I am sure you are already well aware, is:  World Science Day for Peace & Development.  I thought I would blend an exposition on this well-loved traditional holiday with my own personal tradition, Wordsmith Wednesday.  I think you may find that the combination works.

I suspect that the prescient among us have already recognized this holiday as yet another profound invention of the United Nations.  This day is designed to advance UNESCO's Science Agenda, which is primarily about pollution, sustainability, and sharing (OK...that's a slight oversimplification, but I did actually read the document...all 96 points...and it's only slight!).  It really boils down to an imposition of their social and political ideology into the world of science and technology.   

As you might also have guessed, this day's celebration is marked by activities similar to this week's previous UN holiday: engaging in discussion, displaying posters, visiting museums, and of course, the all-important government affirmation of commitment to scientific initiatives.  Oooh.  Let the partay begin!

For Wordsmith Wednesday, I give you a list of some of my favorite adjectives:

ridiculous, vain, absurd, preposterous, nonsensical, mindless,  moronic, farcical,  meaningless, outrageous, inane, self-indulgent, egotistical, vacuous, inconsequential, obtuse, sophomoric, nescient, irrelevant...

Feel free to share your OWN very favorite adjectives in honor of promoting peace and development within science.  And while you're at it, care to join me for a celebratory glass of port?  Anyone...?

No comments: