Monday, November 15, 2010

Nov 15 - A Birthing Day

Today is a holiday too...in our household anyway.  This day, 17 years ago, just before midnight, Grant Ford Shaffer entered this world and I became something I had never been prior to that day.  I became, forever, a mom.  O happy day!  Well...OK...THAT wasn't a happy day as you've heard before, but it has led to many happy days and a happy estate in general!

As I reflected on Grant's last year, the thing that stands out to me for which I am most thankful, is the friends he has made.  Not only because he appears to have chosen wisely (is it just me or do parents always have that lingering suspicion of the possibility of being deceived?), but because these friendships seem to be meaningful.  These guys are there for each other.  Yeah, they spend lots of time together goofing off, texting other people, talking shop, and just hanging out (case in point...see pic below).  But they talk.  They help one another.  They listen to each other.  They even confide in one another.  Really.  Teenage boys.  Who would've thought?  Not me, that's for sure. 



We offered Grant a party this year...he hasn't had one for the past 3 years...but all he wanted was to have his "bros" for dinner and some hang time.    I love these guys.  I love them because they are my son's friends.  I love them because they are good guys.  And I love them because they let me tell them so tonight and didn't even flinch or act embarrassed.  (Of course, after being served Lobster Bisque, Filet Mignon and Garlic Mashed Potatoes...they BETTER NOT refuse my sentimental maternal declarations!)

My prayer is that God will continue to be merciful to each of them and that no matter where the course of time takes them, that they will remain close to one another, and that they will be blessed with true friendship throughout the course of their lives.

Happy birthday, Son.  I thank God that you are not the foolish son of Proverbs who is a burden around his mother's neck, but are instead being fashioned into a wise son who is a garland of grace.  May God bless you in the coming year.

1 comment:

Randy S. said...

What a testimony! Way to go, mom!