Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Teacher in Me...

This post could very possibly be motivated by my Inner Perfectionist, but since I'm pretending to work on that, I shall blame my Inner Teacher instead. 

You see, one of my friends loves me enough to correct me.  In my posts on PERFECTIONISM...which I forbade myself to edit (aaargh...!), I misspelled the word "committment" repeatedly.  It's not the first time this week I've had to be corrected for public errors... apparently I have a need to make my mistakes OUT LOUD.

This isn't the first time I've spelled "commitment" incorrectly.  The weird thing is...I KNOW the phonics rule that applies! I know that when adding "-ed" or "-ing" to "commit," one must double the final consonant in order to avoid making that final vowel long. Conversely, I know that because "-ment" begins with a consonant, it is entirely unnecessary to double the final consonant, but I do it anyway...almost every time.

So...the Teacher in me decided that this habitual spelling error needed to be corrected once and for all.  What does a teacher do when a kid repeatedly spells a word incorrectly?  She makes him learn the rule, of course.  And when that fails to penetrate his thick-skull, then what?  She makes him write it 50 times, right?  So...I decided to swallow a little of my own medicine:


Perhaps I won't make this particular mistake again.  Or perhaps I'll discover that I am even more thick-headed than I thought.  Sigh...

3 comments:

Justin Donathan said...

Hahaha. This post makes me happy. Way to take your own medicine.

Lori Waggoner said...

I aim to please. :)

Alicia Donathan said...

Oops, that was me before. I was logged in as Justin.