Monday, June 18, 2012

T-Shirt Quilt

A friend of mine had a snazzy t-shirt quilt made for her daughter's graduation a couple years back.  As soon as I saw it, I knew I wanted to do this for my boys so I began saving their old t-shirts instead of throwing them away: sports teams, vacation spots, mission trips, Shakespeare plays...these shirts represent all kinds of fun memories.



While I was alone this weekend, I began working on Grant's.  I want to add at least 2 more rows, but only have 3 shirts left.  I raided his closet and found more, but don't yet have permission to confiscate them.  I'm working on that.   I also have some of his dad's old shirts from high school/college and plan to incorporate a couple into each of the boys' quilts.  Here's what I have done so far:


I feel compelled to explain my unsophisticated, rough "design."  Most of the t-shirt quilts I've seen are quite professional like those pictured above.  However, THIS one is going off with an 18-year-old male who is...how shall I say this?...ummm...less than domesticated.  Yeah.  That's it.  This thing will get drenched in sweat, Coke, wing sauce, Cheez-it crumbs...you name it.  And it may actually get laundered once or twice a year.  Rather than make a beautiful piece of art that I would be devastated to have "lived with" I chose to make a fast and rough "rag" (exposed seams) quilt that can take a beating, but still be useful and sturdy.


The other advantage to this design, is that I can continue to add to it over the years...which is pretty much...brilliant.  Right?

I think he'll like it.

1 comment:

Oriana said...

Probably a good idea that you don't try to make it clean and perfectly fancy. 'Cause it's not gonna stay that way...
"Less than domesticated." A very good way to describe young men. ;D