Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Grati-Tuesday

I suspect that by now some of you may have tired of my emoting.  If you're in that camp, feel free to move along…nothing for you here.  

But I have much for which to give thanks, not the least of which are the manifold mercies of Christ demonstrated in a thousand little ways. 

Last night I saw my mother-in-law for the first time since the dissolution of my marriage.  We had dinner together before Eric's graduation.  The anticipation of that meeting was fairly emotional for me.  She was always good to me, and has continued to be so in the last year.  She greeted me with warmth and grace last night…and she didn't have to, you know.  I asked myself how I would feel if I were in her shoes.  I don't know.  I do know that she doesn't owe me kindness.  But she gave it anyway.  She laid aside her own hurt, disappointment, and whatever else she has experienced, to extend grace.

Even in our brokenness…maybe especially in our brokenness...the Lord reaches down and demonstrates His love, His mercy, and His forgiveness through the kindness of others.  His mercies are new every morning.

And for that, I am immensely grateful.  

No comments: