Thursday, May 15, 2014

Lyle

There are two things you should never say to a true Lyle Lovett fan: "He's that Country musician, right?" and "Wasn't he married to that actress?"  

So yeah.  It could be true that I overreact just a wee bit when either of these questions follow a reference to Lyle.  Those are slightly understandable mistakes…IF you haven't listened to him since his debut self-titled album in 1986, or IF you rely on Wikipedia for your cultural education.  Aside from that…let me be frank (it's MY blog after all)…it's a gross display of ignorance.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.  

I, however, am on a mission to enlighten all the culturally destitute who think Mr. Lovett is just some washed up Toby Keith or an obsolete relic of country music.  There is a reason I titled my blog after a song of his.  I like to pretend that my choice of topics and my ability to write are as diverse, poetic, intellectual and fascinating as his music.  Delusions of grandeur?  Perhaps…but it's working for me.

Yes, Lyle sings some country songs.  Yes, he drives a pick up truck.  Yes, he wears a 10-gallon Stetson. Yes, he competes in rodeos.  Hell…he even owns and operates his grandfather's ranch in TEXAS.  He is a gen-u-wine real deal cowboy.  

Within the broader Country genre, Lovett writes, performs, and records folk, bluegrass, rockabilly, and country rock.  But…he is infinitely more diverse than that, and his repertoire more than dabbles in Blues, Big Band, Swing, Jazz, Gospel, and Hymns, as well as the American Songbook.   

Perhaps I should stop talking and demonstrate:




(skip to :35 for music)



Shall I continue?  Because I could do this all day long.  Bottom line: Lyle Lovett is an accomplished singer-songwriter- guitarist who covers more genres more successfully than any other musician that I know of, and who surrounds himself with the highest caliber musicians who elevate and energize his live performances.  He appears to be in his prime, as Tuesday night's concert at Jesse Auditorium with his Acoustic Group was by far the best I've seen to date.

OK...Shutting up.  But before I do, let me give credence to his Country credentials too…cause they're legit:


(skip to :40 for music)

No comments: