Friday, February 1, 2008

A Tearful Good-Bye

Today I drove to Festus where Riesa's friends from her day program were hosting a party in her honor. I almost decided to skip it on account of the inclement weather, but I'm so glad I went! It was really neat to see her operating in that environment...she acts more responsible and communicates more. I think she must feel a sense of belonging that she doesn't feel elsewhere. Here she is during one of many hugs with her van driver, water aerobics instructor and good friend, Jane. She'll miss her the most.

Riesa is well-loved there in spite of her reputation for being bossy...and she IS bossy...I saw it in action today!! Some affectionately call her "The Lieutenant" - maybe it runs in the family. The staff and the clients all enjoy her company, and she is on the giving and receiving end of a lot of teasing. She was all smiles and excitement, basking in her status as "queen of all things." One of her friends who couldn't be there called to say good-bye.

Her party included a going-away cake with a cute photo of her embedded in the icing...it was darling.

She also received this glass heart with the message, "I thank my God every time I remember you."

But here's the part where I lost it...One of the staff made a photo album filled with memories of activities and outings, and made sure every person from the program was included. She labeled them all too, so I would know who Riesa was talking about when we look at the album together. So sweet....Riesa loved it.

I think Riesa's actions today demonstrated that she understands that she's leaving there...she was doling out lots of extra hugs and kisses.

So, ready or not, here she comes! Thanks to all of you who have expressed your goodwill and prayers for us!

6 comments:

jennifer h said...

Just reading your post and looking at the photos made a tear come to my eye, and I don't even know Riesa.

I am looking forward to the opportunity to get to know her.

Lori Waggoner said...

Thanks, Jennifer. It means alot that people care.

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to meeting Riesa and welcoming her to her new community. I am glad to hear that she is a teaser;) She sounds like a fun gal!!

Jessie said...

Ditto what Jennifer said! And we are looking forward to meeting her too!

Anonymous said...

I join with previous comments. Lori, I am overwhelmed by your family's act of love. The Lord bless you all and Riesa. Praying for a smooth adjustment!

Lori Waggoner said...

Thank you all!