Wednesday, February 20, 2008

For You, A Thousand Times Over

The Kite Runner chronicles the successes and failures of friendship between the young servant boy, Hassan, and his master's son, Amir.

Amir's self-interested cowardice and betrayal are highlighted over against Hassan's self-sacrificial loyalty and faithful service. On more than one occasion, Hassan proves his heart is equal to his station through his humble and silent submission to suffering.

Amir despises Hassan for the lamb-like posture he assumes when under persecution and, out of a guilty conscience, he sets out to alienate him. In the end, the transformative power of Hassan's example is evidenced by Amir's own sacrifice on his behalf.

The book is a worthy read. I saw the movie first, and quite frankly, the plot, character development, dialogue and themes remained remarkably faithful to the original story....identical, really. So much so that it made reading the book a bit superfluous. (I can't believe I just said that!) Trust me...you will miss nothing by seeing the movie instead, and it was aesthetically excellent from the exquisite opening credits to the final scene.

Having said that, I found Hosseini to be an engaging storyteller. He surprised me with his ability to weave classic themes into a thoroughly unique plot. There were a couple of strained moments where he seems to directly tell his audience that which the storyline makes clear to a seasoned reader, and which would have been better off discovered rather than told outright. But overall, I thought this was an impressive first-effort.

Here is a brief excerpt told from Amir's voice:

I took a couple of the envelopes of cash from the pile of gifts and my watch, and tiptoed out...I entered Hassan's living quarters...I lifted Hassan's mattress and planted my new watch and a handful of Afghani bills under it...Then I knocked on Baba's [Papa's] door and told what I hoped would be the last in a long line of shameful lies.

Hassan and his father are brought before Amir and his father to be questioned:

Baba came right out and asked, "Did you steal that money? Did you steal Amir's watch, Hassan?"

Hassan's reply was a single word, delivered in a thin, raspy voice: "Yes."

I flinched, like I'd been slapped. My heart sank and I almost blurted out the truth. Then I understood: This was Hassan's final sacrifice for me. If he'd said no, Baba would have believed him because we all knew Hassan never lied. And if Baba believed him, then I'd be the accused; I would have to explain and I'd be revealed for what I really was. Baba would never, ever forgive me. And that led to another understanding: Hassan knew. He knew I'd seen everything in that alley, that I'd stood there and done nothing. He knew I had betrayed him and yet he was rescuing me once again, maybe for the last time. I loved him in that moment, loved him more than I'd ever loved anyone, and I wanted to tell them all that I was the snake in the grass, the monster in the lake. I wasn't worthy of this sacrifice; I was a liar, a cheat, and a thief. And I would have told, except that part of me was glad. Glad that this would all be over with soon. Baba would dismiss them...life would move on. I wanted that.

Except Baba stunned me by saying, "I forgive you."

Intrigued? You should be. Read it. Watch it.

2 comments:

Angie B. said...

Sounds like I may need to put "Kite Runner" on my library list. But first I have to get through my current book--I'm on page 183 of 600, so it may be awhile.

Glad to see you're back online. As for your last post, here I was all set to start referring to you as Our Non-Lady of St. Louis (you know, because of your blog title), but I guess I'll have to pull the plug on the veneration.

(I'll keep on admiring you, though!)

jennifer h said...

Great review of The Kite Runner. Thanks for assuring me I don't need to read the book since I saw the movie already.