Monday, February 4, 2008

Settling In

Riesa seems happy to be here. When she went to bed the first night (Saturday), she talked for quite a while, which is her way of winding down. As I lay listening to her, wondering if she was all right, I overheard her say, "This is my room. Riesa's room." "I like this house." and "Mommy's fine." She had made reference earlier in the day to her mom being fine, but in the context of talking about "Daddy" being fine in heaven with Jesus. I wonder if she understands that this move is connected with her mother's aging and if she is anticipating her eventual death. It sounds weird to even say that, but I wish I knew what was in that head of hers...

Sunday was a great day. Riesa has grown up in the church and is a baptized, communing member of the Body of Christ, where many of her friendships throughout the years have been formed. Our church family was so warm and natural with Riesa yesterday, and she expressed her pleasure at being there. In the evening, she joined us in the basement for a Super Bowl party with a couple of these families and loved the mayhem...the exciting 4th quarter and all the men whoopin' it up...she joined right in a couple of times. I think she began connecting with a couple of my girlfriends too.

All in all, we've had a good beginning.

No comments: