Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Le Grande Fromage

Saturday evening we attended a dinner with a "French" theme and I was assigned to bring a cheese tray. Sound simple enough...unless, like me , you know absolutely nothing about anything French...including cheese! After some internet research and trips to Sam's, Trader Joe's, and The Wine & Cheese Place, here's what we ended up with:
St. Andre (Trader Joe's) - a soft, triple-creme, rich, buttery cheese - excellent spread on a piece of dried Bartlett pear
Port Salut (Sam's) - a mild, semi-soft, white cheese - very good on either Kellog's All-Bran crackers or the dried pears
Raclette (Trader Joe's) - a firmer cheese with a slightly nutty flavor - works well alone or on the All-Bran crackers.  Excellent when combined with almonds.
Basque (The Wine & Cheese Place) - a sheep's milk cheese not altogether different from the Raclette - slightly stronger aftertaste - also good alone, on a plain wafer, or bran cracker
Comte (Trader Joe's) - mildly pungent, semi-firm cheese - pairs well with wafer or cracker
St. Agur (The Wine & Cheese Place) - a soft, double-creme bleu cheese - very salty and creamy - best served on completely plain bread, wafer or cracker so that the full flavor can be experienced.
French Brie (Sam's) - soft, slightly pungent - excellent with blueberries and brown sugar scattered over top, then melted - serve with Almond-butter wafers from Trader Joe's
I highly recommend the St. Andre, St. Agur, Basque and Brie with blueberries. The only bleu I've liked more than the St. Agur is Schwarz & Weiss, an Amish-made bleu which I can't find anywhere in St. Louis right now. Of course I couldn't have included it on a French cheese plate anyway, could I?
The Wine & Cheese Place, is a great little shop that allows you to taste anything you want, and their staff is very knowledgeable. I always feel out of place when I walk in - like I'm not rich or worldly enough - but if you get the right person (not snobby) it's a very helpful experience. Check it out.

4 comments:

jennifer h said...

Just tell them you are from snootycook.com!

Seriously, your cheese tray sounds great.

Bobber said...

Don't you think this blog entry is just a bit cheesy??

Lori Waggoner said...

Yeah, Jennifer! What was I thinking!? I could throw that title around a bit..."I'm president of SnootyCook.com and would like some assistance, please." Next time...I'm on it!

Lori Waggoner said...

Bobber, Bobber, Bobber....

You made me laugh.