Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Prince Caspian

Yes, I reviewed the movie in the previous post, but I also read the book for the first time earlier this week and wanted to record some of my favorite lines/passages from it. No profound commentary or anything, just quotes. I wasn't totally crazy about A Horse and His Boy, so I wasn't sure what I would think about Prince Caspian, but it rates right up there with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe!

---------------------------------------------------------

The dwarf Nikabrik is very suspicious of Caspian when they find him injured in the woods, because he doesn't trust humans. He complains to the others that no good will come of his presence.

"Don't you go talking about things you don't understand, Nikabrik," said Trufflehunter. "You Dwarfs are as forgetful and changeable as the Humans themselves. I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on. I say great good will come of it. This is the true King of Narnia we've got here: a true King, coming back to true Narnia. And we beasts remember, even if Dwarfs forget, that Narnia was never right except when a son of Adam was King."

-----------------------------------------------------------
Lucy's first encounter with Aslan on this particular trip to Narnia goes like this:

"Welcome, child," he said.

"Aslan, said Lucy, "you're bigger."

"That is because you are older, little one," answered he.

"Not because you are?"

"I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger."

-------------------------------------------------------------
Lucy receives her commission from Aslan, but is disappointed that he hasn't set everything right already. Her complaint sounds somewhat familiar, don't you think? "And I thought you'd come roaring in and frighten all the enemies away..."

-------------------------------------------------------------
When Peter and Edmund go off to war leaving the girls behind with Aslan, the trees begin to dance and there appear a wild and handsome young boy and several maidens, followed by laughing, shouting, games, and feasting! This is how they spend their time in Aslan's presence even as the men head out to fight. When they stop celebrating, Lucy realizes that the boy was Bacchus - the Roman god of wine. Susan's response is, "I say, Lu, I wouldn't have felt safe with Bacchus and all his wild girls if we'd met them without Aslan." To which Lucy responds, "I should think not!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Prince Caspian is my favorite of the seven. Thanks for sharing the quotes. I should read it again,

Lori Waggoner said...

Even though I just read it, I think I need buzz through it again quickly so I can erase the movies' distortions from my mind.

Those images are so powerful and they STICK more easily than my own paltry mental images.

It only takes a few hours to read. Ready..........GO!

Anonymous said...

You are making me think that I should not see the movie. I like my images;)

Thanks for saving me 2 and a half hours...now I do have time to read the book. I'm off to enjoy the beauty and brilliance.

Hans Georg Lundahl said...

Prince Caspian is really good ... but then so are the two surrounding ones.