Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Scheuermann's Kyphosis

That is Grant's official diagnosis from yesterday's visit to the ortho guy.

The good news is that since he has no pain associated with it, they are going to leave it alone for now and his activities remain unrestricted. He can weight lift and begin training for football this summer as planned.

The bad news may not be bad at all. Because noone knows the origin or cause of his "deformity," (thus the diagnosis of Scheuermann's which is caused by abnormal growth of the vertebrae during puberty) they want to do new x-rays in 3 months. If the curve has progressed (it's currently 50+ degrees), they will brace him until he is 16 or stops growing...that would eliminate all participation in sports until that time. Of course we hope they find no change, but are praying for humble and peaceful submission to whatever comes his way.

In the meantime, Grant is to do some postural training that may (or may not) help stem or at least discourage the progression.

We all - Grant especially - are relieved with the full-steam-ahead approach! Yeah...even me...I'm O-K with the whole football thing.

8 comments:

Jessie said...

Wow, Lori, we'll pray for those things, too! I am thankful things are a go right now.

Anonymous said...

I am rejoicing with the good report from the dr. Hopefully the dr's interpretation and suggestions are right and will take care of Grant's spine as he grows. I will be praying.

jennifer h said...

Great news! We'll be praying for future good reports.

April said...

Hi Lori,
I'm so thankful that the news is good! Praise GOD!

Lori Waggoner said...

Thank you all for caring!

Angie B. said...

Sorry you guys are having to deal with this, but I'm glad Grant won't have to do the brace for now.

When I was growing up my parents were constantly telling me sit up straight, sit up straight... Eventually I was diagnosed with a mild case of kyphosis. The doctor gave me a list of exercises which I promptly stuck in a drawer and ignored, unfortunately.

It wasn't until after my first child was born that I began doing them in earnest, starting with trying to learn how to stand up straight. I think they've helped.

Will be praying that the postural exercises will do the trick for him!

Lori Waggoner said...

Thanks, Angie! If sports were not at risk, I think Grant would discard the exercise route just as you did, but since that is his first love, I think he'll stay motivated...

Is your kyphosis still noticeable?

Angie B. said...

A little. I often need to remind myself about sitting and standing correctly.