Saturday, September 27, 2008

Classical Education: Hallmarks 5

One final hallmark of Classical Ed is its commitment to fostering the ability to logically and artfully communicate truth, AKA: Rhetoric.

This discipline incorporates all the others: familiarity with history and literature, competency with language, and clarity of thought aid our students in their quest to communicate well.

Since I have written extensively on this in the past, I'll refer you to all the posts titled "On Rhetoric" (put that in the search window above and you'll find them). Yes, it's one of those series I haven't completed, but I've said an awful lot...so check it out, if you're so inclined.

This concludes my "Hallmarks" portion of the series. In summary, CE places a long-term and weighty emphasis on the following:

History
Language
Literature
Logic
Rhetoric

Next: The Pitfalls

No comments: