Saturday, July 11, 2009

Psalm 121

I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
From whence shall my help come?
My help comes from Yahweh,
Who made heaven and earth.
He will not allow your foot to slip,
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Will neither slumber nor sleep.
Yahweh is your keeper;
Yahweh is your shade on your right hand.
The sun will not smite you by day,
Nor the moon by night.
Yahweh will protect you from all evil;
He will keep your soul.
Yahweh will guard your going out and your coming in
From this time forth and forever.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love that Psalm. Was this from memory? Joanie

Lori Waggoner said...

If it was from memory it would have been in the King James Version! "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help?" OK...you get the idea! I learned this one as a kid. Sometimes it's helpful for me to read/hear it in another version than the one I memorized. Often, it brings something to light that I never noticed before.

jennifer h said...

I love this Psalm. Every time I think of it, I hear the Mendelssohn SSA setting of it from the Elijah aria. I learned it at some point in high school or college and have sung both the 1st & 2nd Sop part in different choirs, so it is stuck in my head. I found several renditions of it on youtube that were all lovely. Here's just one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejtiKD3lAsQ&feature=related

Lori Waggoner said...

Beautiful, Jennifer...thanks! Has PRPC choir done this?

Jennifer said...

Can't remember if we've sung it at PRPC or not. All the choir experiences blur together in my mind. I guess I am getting old.