Thursday, October 21, 2010

Columbus...Who's He?

Your mail won't come today.   And your bank will not be open.  Otherwise, life will go on as usual...as though this day does not represent a significant milestone in our history.  Afterall, we'd like to forget about the self-centered, European, white male who forced his way into the New World, paving the way for all manner of evil and disease.  We of the 21st century are much too enlightened to admire a man like Columbus.  Observe a holiday in his name?  Please.

But you probably know by now that I tend not to be the most politically-correct, enlightened individual on the planet, and I am too much inclined to share my opinions, unpopular though they may be.  However, I am going to resist that temptation today in favor of publishing a few of Columbus's own words.  You can study him on your own and judge for yourself what manner of man he was and what manner of deeds he performed.  One thing is certain, he was admirably poetic as manifest by this entry in his "lowly" log book. October 17, 1492:

At 10 o'clock, we arrived at a cape of the island, and anchored, the other vessels in company. After having dispatched a meal, I went ashore, and found no habitation save a single house, and that without an occupant; we had no doubt that the people had fled in terror at our approach, as the house was completely furnished. I suffered nothing to be touched, and went with my captains and some of the crew to view the country. This island even exceeds the others in beauty and fertility. Groves of lofty and flourishing trees are abundant, as also large lakes, surrounded and overhung by the foliage, in a most enchanting manner. Everything looked as green as in April in Andalusia. The melody of the birds was so exquisite that one was never willing to part from the spot, and the flocks of parrots obscured the heavens. The diversity in the appearance of the feathered tribe from those of our country is extremely curious. A thousand different sorts of trees, with their fruit were to be met with, and of a wonderfully delicious odor. It was a great affliction to me to be ignorant of their natures, for I am very certain they are all valuable; specimens of them and of the plants I have preserved. Going round one of these lakes, I saw a snake, which we killed, and I have kept the skin for your Highnesses; upon being discovered he took to the water, whither we followed him, as it was not deep, and dispatched him with our lances; he was seven spans in length; I think there are many more such about here. I discovered also the aloe tree, and am determined to take on board the ship tomorrow, ten quintals of it, as I am told it is valuable. While we were in search of some good water, we came upon a village of the natives about half a league from the place where the ships lay; the inhabitants on discovering us abandoned their houses, and took to flight, carrying of their goods to the mountain. I ordered that nothing which they had left should be taken, not even the value of a pin. Presently we saw several of the natives advancing towards our party, and one of them came up to us, to whom we gave some hawk's bells and glass beads, with which he was delighted. We asked him in return, for water, and after I had gone on board the ship, the natives came down to the shore with their calabashes full, and showed great pleasure in presenting us with it. I ordered more glass beads to be given them, and they promised to return the next day. It is my wish to fill all the water casks of the ships at this place, which being executed, I shall depart immediately, if the weather serve, and sail round the island, till I succeed in meeting with the king, in order to see if I can acquire any of the gold, which I hear he possesses.

6 comments:

Lori Waggoner said...

And now I know that TODAY is not Columbus Day...just the day my child is off school in honor of it. (?) Hm. It was actually October 11. I'm so confused.

Les said...

Yeah, I was about to say...

Ed said...

Columbus is the Rodney Dangerfield of explorers, at least in our time. He can't get no respect. And he deserves much respect.

Lori Waggoner said...

Wish I could "like" comments on my blog. I would have liked yours, Ed.

Glad I beat you to it, Les. I receive correction from myself much more graciously than I do from others. (no sarcasm font required here)

Alicia said...

I'm totally confused. Why are the kids off today, since Columbus Day was Oct. 11?

Lori Waggoner said...

See. I'm not the only one. IDK. It was only Grant's school. Maybe they just needed to assign a reason for the day off?