Thursday, October 21, 2010

For Want of Wit: 15

Could I maybe...just for once...NOT be a dingbat?  It would be a nice break...for everybody, ya know? 

Apparently, the answer to that question is a resounding "NO."  I still dwell in the wild world of dingbatdom.  Why?  How? you ask.  Well...I did it AGAIN.  Nooooooo..........I didn't back into Shaf's car in the driveway.  But...for the third time in as many months, I awakened to a car with a dead battery.

It all stems from my inordinate desire to have the wind in my hair.  You see, on beautiful days like yesterday...and even on not-so-beautiful days like yesterday...I ride in my car with all 4 windows down and the sunroof open.  It's as close as I'm going to get to a convertible.  I love the fresh air in my face.  Makes me feel free and happy...at least for a while.

The problem arises when I forget to put the windows UP...which I may have done a time or two...and awaken to a thoroughly drenched interior...which then smells like an overused, sour towel for a couple of weeks.  My acute olfactory sense, coupled with my aversion to the smell of sour towels has led me, in recent days, to be much more diligent about making sure the windows are up before I go to bed...like I did last night.  But somehow...some way...for some inexplicable reason that makes absolutely no sense to me...I put the windows up then proceed to go to bed, leaving the keys in the ignition, partially engaged!! 

So...here I sit.  Not finishing up my 3-mile walk as I should have been.  Nope.  I'm sitting.  And waiting.  And blogging about my ongoing stupidity.  The Triple A guy should be here any moment now.  We're on an intimate, first-name basis.  He's quite a diplomatic guy who very artfully avoids making me feel the humiliation of being a repeat offender. 


And thus begins this day in the life of one wanting in wit.  Sigh...

3 comments:

annie said...

If it makes you feel any better, I once locked my keys in my car while it was running. Oh, yes, and this happened in the high school parking lot when I was a junior in high school.

I have a long list of stuff like that. I reckon I dwell in dingbatdom, too.

Lori Waggoner said...

I feel a tiny bit better. But at least you had the excuse of youth inexperience, right? Although, it's much more embarassing to do that in front of a bunch of high school peers!

Lori Waggoner said...

Youth AND inexperience.