Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Baby...

...is 5 years old and not such a baby anymore.

When I picked him up on Saturday, he was so proud to show me that he could write his name in cursive:



I was amazed at how beautiful it looked!  When I asked who had taught him to do that, he said, "No one...I just did it."   I had to remind him that somebody had to teach him...you don't just know how to write in cursive.  He informed me that he had seen it written on a paper at Grandma's house and asked her what it said.  When she replied, "Julian," he looked at it and copied it.  Hmmm...sounded to me like he was leaving something out.

He wanted to write MORE words in cursive, so I wrote out each of our names and some other words for him. And guess what?  He looked at them and copied them without any instruction.  Then it dawned on me...the child is an artist!  And what does an artist do?  He sees lines and shapes and reproduces them!  Duh!   So he was telling me the truth afterall!  He "taught" himself how to write in cursive!

This was the first time he wrote Uncle Steve's name:



Then...on Sunday before he went home, he brought this to me:  (sniff, sniff)



Doesn't get much better than that! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing and so sweet! He writes better than people that have been shown how to write in cursive. Joanie