Thursday, March 31, 2011

Penitence & Confidence

The same man who wrote the following desperate plea for mercy: 

O Lord, rebuke me not in Thine indignation, neither chasten me in Thy displeasure.  My soul is sore troubled; how long wilt Thou punish me? (Ps. 6)

Also penned these words of confidence:

Give thanks to the Lord, for His anger is but for a moment, and His favor for a lifetime.  (Ps. 30)  He will not always chide nor will He keep His anger forever.  (Ps. 103)

And he does this over and over and over again:

I am weary of my groaning; every night I flood my bed, and drench my couch with my tears.  (Ps. 6)

The Lord is near to the brokenhearted and saves the crushed in spirit.  (Ps. 34)


How long, O Lord?  Will You forget me forever?  How long will You hide Your face from me?  (Ps. 13)

He has not despised or abhorred the affliction of the afflicted, and He has not hidden His face from him, but has heard when he cried to Him.  (Ps. 22) 

There is no health in my flesh, because of Thy displeasure; neither is there any rest in my bones, by reason of my sin. For my wickednesses are gone over my head, and are like a sore burden, too heavy for me to bear. My wounds stink, and are corrupt, through my foolishness.  I am brought into so great trouble and misery, that I go mourning all the day long. For my loins are filled with a sore disease, and there is no whole part in my body. I am feeble and sore smitten; I have roared for the very disquietness of my heart.  (Ps. 38)

He does not deal with us according to our sins nor repay us according to our iniquities.  As high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His steadfast love toward us; as far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.  As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear Him.  He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust.  (Ps. 103)

My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?  Why are You so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?  I cry by day, but You do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest.  (Ps 22)

In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help.  From His temple He heard my voice, and my cry to Him reached His ears.   (Ps. 18)

Save me, O God; for the waters are come in, even unto my soul. I stick fast in the deep mire, where no ground is; I am come into deep waters, so that the floods run over me.  (Ps. 69)

He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters. He rescued me because He delighted in me. (Ps. 18) He drew me up out of the miry bog and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure. (Ps. 40)

David alternately sends up desperate cries for deliverance and professions of profound trust and hope in the mercy of God. His words accurately reflect the tension of our lives as Christians who struggle with enemies and remaining sin, but desire to please and trust the Lord.  May we join our voices with David's in both of these aspects, utilizing his intensely emotional, Spirit-breathed words.

No comments: