Monday, May 23, 2011

Musical Monday: Sentimental Schmaltz

You probably know me as a self-proclaimed despiser of Christian music that is emotional, schmaltzy, or sentimental, either in its lyrics or its style.  My prejudice is partly due to associations but, I confess, it's also partly due to arrogance.  Afterall, I am too intellectually astute to be sucked in by such flagrant, shallow appeals to my emotions!

Or not.

Truth be told, I can't stomach this kind of music as part of a Sunday service, but in other contexts, if I drop my guard, I can be quite moved.  And here I am admitting it publicly!!  How humiliating!  Guess I'm not so high and mighty afterall...and I really do have a heart of flesh.

For those of you who are like me, try not to "analyze" these songs as either a musical or theological snob...just relax and be open-hearted.   You might even enjoy them!   And...you might not.  (Rule #1: IGNORE the multiple key changes!)

I have been encouraged by both of these lately - the lyrics are actually rich,  and I thought I'd offer you the chance to EXPERIENCE the same. 

O Love That Wilt Not Let Me Go
A song of God's faithfulness and the hope of the resurrection 


How Great Thou Art
A proclamation of the majesty of God's creative and redemptive works 

I know this isn't the most recent or popular version, but this one includes the important second verse...


No comments: