Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Meditations for Ash Wednesday

Wilt Thou Forgive?
by: John Donne

Wilt Thou forgive that sin where I begun
Which is my sin though it were done before?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin through which I run
And do run still, though still I do deplore?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done
For I have more.

Wilt Thou forgive that sin by which I won
Others to sin and made my sin their door?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallow'd in a score?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear that when I've spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore.
Swear by Thyself that at my death Thy Son
Shall shine as He shines now and heretofore.
And having done that, Thou hast done.
I fear no more.






No comments: