Monday, February 6, 2012

Musical Monday: Crystal Bowersox

Whatever happened to American Idol's Crystal Bowersox?  

Well, here's the latest: Crystal released her first album just over a year ago, which sold more than 58,000 copies in the first 10 days or so, and 194,000 in the U.S. as of today.  Not bad.  But not exactly stellar, either.  Perhaps I was not the only one who was slightly disappointed with the recording.

I expected something rougher around the edges...more pared-down and bluesy.   Instead, the album sounds pretty mainstream and over-produced to me.  Ideally, her albums should recorded in the same style as Guy Clark or John Prine.  Bare bones.  Crystal and her guitar full bore...with maybe a wee bit of additional acoustic accompaniment thrown in here and there.    Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad album, but neither did it leave me awestruck and anticipating the next one the way I had anticipated this one.

This first video represents the title track of the album: Farmer's Daughter, and is pretty well done.  


This next one demonstrates the more pared-down style that I prefer from her:

No comments: