Thursday, November 6, 2008

So You Had a Bad Day, 2

So...we quickly and efficiently drop Riesa at her day program and head north on Lindbergh toward Westminster. So far so good. As we pass Clayton Road, I see a police officer pull into the sparse right lane of traffic. The gal in front of me (left lane) decides she can't pass him because...well, you know...he's a policeman! But me? I know how this works. Afterall, my Uncle Walter served as a MO Highway patrolman for Troop C for most of his life, and used to laugh about drivers who wouldn't pass an officer even though he was traveling slower than the speed limit. No fear here. I know this guy is simply amusing himself with everyone slowing down just 'cause they see him.
I double-check the speed limit sign - 40 mph...we're good - then proceed to pass the car in front of me as well as the officer. No problem. He pulls over behind me, but I'm careful to maintain my 40 mph. All is well. At least we think all is well until his siren blares and his lights flash. Oh...better move to the right and get out of his way! He must've gotten a call! He follows. I move further to the right and....he follows. I turn off the main drag and...you guessed it. He follows.
My heart is pounding, 'cause I'm a little freaked out! I saw the sign. I wasn't speeding. WHY is he pulling me over? Oh...shoot. I don't have plates on the front of this car and he's wondering why (long story....). Dang it! Oh, and SHOOT!!! My license is at home in my jeans pocket from last night. GREAT!
The officer approaches my window and asks to see my license, which I promptly admit I don't have on me. "Well, you were exceeding the speed limit back there...it's 30 in the construction zone."

I meekly explain that I specifically looked for the sign and saw 40...sorry, I didn't know.
"I ran your plates and they are registered to a 1997 blue Volvo wagon, not a Honda pilot."
"Yes, sir, we just bought this about 2-3 weeks ago."
"Do you have a bill of sale?"
"Uh, let me look...no, sir, I don't."
"Proof of insurance?"
"Uh...no, sir...I don't have that either."
"You buy this from a dealer?"
"Yes, sir."

"Any idea why they didn't give you 30-day dealer tags?"
"No, sir. They told my husband we could just use the old ones for 30 days...we didn't check that out, we just took their word for it."
He takes what info I can give him: Name, DOB and SS#
Here's where I stand at this moment:
1. Speeding in a construction zone
2. No license
3. Tags designated for a different car
4. Missing tag on the front of car
5. No proof of purchase
6. No proof of insurance
I'm in BIIIGGG trouble!
To be continued...

1 comment:

The Boojes said...

So you bought the PILOT, eh?!? I thought you would! =)