Friday, October 23, 2009

I Can See Clearly Now

Or so they tell me. Apparently, I am no longer the best judge of my own vision. You see, yesterday I became the not-so-proud owner of a public display of my aging self. Glasses. And you all know me...I'm an all-or-nothing kind of gal, so I couldn't just need glasses for the first time ever. No...I needed 24-hour-a-day trifocals. Oh, pardon me...they call them "progressive" lenses now, not trifocals. Suddenly I feel better about my rapid descent toward blindness. Dramatic, I know.

So, I, who have been known to have trouble staying on my feet under the best of circumstances, now have to adapt to eyewear that makes me feel as though I am only 3 feet tall. The ground is way too close to my head! Seriously. I get a little nauseous if I walk too far with them on and I feel continually in danger of mis-stepping and taking yet another face dive. Hey, no big deal. What's another facial scar or two gonna hurt?

And maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't expect to squint WITH the glasses on, when I wasn't squinting without them. AND...my computer screen is shaped like a trapezoid. Is THAT normal? AND...I now see yellow blobs on the computer screen which were previously non-existent.

I really hope the Dr. is right about needing time to adjust, because the prescription feels way too strong. It seems that my eyes are working way too hard to see through them. Maybe they've BEEN working really hard already and now they have to work to NOT work? Hmmm.

In the meantime, let me introduce you to what, in the world of fashion eyewear, is known as "Geek Chic." (that doesn't work if you pronounce it like my darling friend, Nancy..."chick"! Love you, Nanc!)

My New Look

5 comments:

Angie B. said...

Looks great on you!

jennifer h said...

Even with glasses, you heard me stumble over the words I couldn't quite see when I was reading the Bible passage in Bible study the other day. It happens to everyone.

But you know they look good on you!

annie said...

They look great. My glasses are "geek chic", too. I just didn't know the terminology before now. :)

Trina Waggoner said...

When I got my first pair, I had the same experience, BUT, it did wear off and I had the same thoughts as you. I went 35 yrs. without glasses...BUT, when things came back into focus...I truelly said "OH-My-GOSH, I can see details on things I did not know I was missing. The down-side: I can no longer go without them if I truelly want to SEE! ps: always a down side when we become dependant on things. That's LIFE & AGE...hugs & luv!! I'd say you look great but the other girls already said ALL that...he-hee

Anonymous said...

I have contact lens that are monovision--one eye is for distance and the other is for reading. I also have glasses but they drive me crazy--not so much the dizziness but to try to read things at the grocery store and cock my head all the way back drives me crazy. But I do like the look of your glasses. Growing old is a trip. Joanie