Monday, October 26, 2009

Leisurely Woman's Daybook 16

Outside my window...today is gloomy again, but yesterday's sunrise was stunningly glorious - possibly the most intense in scope and color that I've ever seen.

From the kitchen...marinated tri-tip grilled to medium-rare perfection. Yessss! Thank you, Steve!

Around the house...I'm rearranging my bedroom furniture. I had previously concluded that I had found the only configuration that would work, but I require change...and you know what they say about necessity!

A favorite thing...this statue pictured below which I bought at TJ Maxx a couple years ago. I love the symbolism. Can you see her well enough to tell who she is and what all her "stuff" represents?

I am thinking...that I'm nearly ready to begin playing Christmas music!

I am wearing...SOCKS and a sweatshirt...ahhh...one of the great and varied joys of fall. I love fall.

I am hearing...Mendelssohn's Octet in E-flat Major.

I am reading...Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Life Together, in which he encourages us to abandon our dreams and ideals concerning Christian community and to replace them with reality...that we are only and truly bound together in fellowship by faith in Jesus Christ, not by our experience with one another.

Even when sin and misunderstanding burden the communal life, is not the sinning brother still a brother, with whom I, too, stand under the Word of Christ? Will not his sin be a constant occasion for me to give thanks that both of us may live in the forgiving love of God in Jesus Christ? Thus the very hour of disillusionment with my brother becomes incomparably salutary, because it so thoroughly teaches me that neither of us can ever live by our own words and deeds, but only by that one Word and Deed which really binds us together - the forgiveness of sins in Jesus Christ. When the morning mists of dreams vanish, then dawns the bright day of Christian fellowship.

I am creating...more greeting cards this week:

I am thankful...for Carolan VanHeest and Doris Daily...2 elderly women in our church who remain strong-of-heart and faithful even as life presents obstacles and difficulties. Their lifelong faithfulness is a great encouragement to me, as I'm sure it is to many others as well!

Plans for my week...plans are frighteningly sparse this week. I'm thinkin' I gotta fix that...QUICKLY! You know what they say about idle hands, right? How much more dangerous are idle hands when accompanied by an idle mind?!

A photo/video I'm sharing...our little "surrogate grandson" - Julian - who hangs at our house every other weekend. This one was taken one Saturday last winter when he showed up sick in his jammies...a conglomeration of Batman and Superman from head to toe. Such a cutie pie!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure pack in a lot to think about when you do the daybook. The cards are beautiful. What a creative woman you are!! Joanie

Anonymous said...

Who is "she"? My under educated guess would be wisdom with the sword of the Spirit, standing on God's Word, and can't remember what else I saw. Joanie

Lori Waggoner said...

Well...since no one else is making any guesses, I'll go ahead and tell you...or at least give you some hints:

1) She is blindfolded
2) She has scales in her left hand
3) She has a sword in her right hand
4) A serpent is twining round her legs
5) She is standing on a very large book

NOT Lady Wisdom...I'll give you one more chance, Joanie! OR anyone else for that matter.

Anonymous said...

How about justice?

Followed your facebook posting to here, you continue to amaze me with all your wonderful insights and talents. We REALLY need to go to lunch sometime.

Cindy

Lori Waggoner said...

Hi, friend, Cindy! I miss you. Yes...let's have lunch.

And YES...she is Lady Justice who is blindfolded so as not to judge by outward appearances. She stands on the book of the law and weighs the evidence before executing judgement, thus the sword at the ready. Though you can't see it well in the photo, her foot is actually on the serpent's head, crushing it!! Beautiful...

Love you, sister. Let's meet soon!