Friday, October 30, 2009

What's That Stench? Part 2

So, how do we learn to live inside that smelly ark we call The Church with all those stinking sinners?

First of all, we need to change our expectations so that we are less easily disillusioned. Remember who your brothers are...fallen humans...bent hnau, every one...with a remaining propensity to act as sons of the first Adam. Don't just know it theoretically and theologically. Remember it and believe it!

Think, for a moment, how easily we take for granted the birth of a perfectly whole, healthy baby whose every system functions flawlessly. We assume this is "normal" because it happens so frequently and we even come to expect it. Only when a child is born with some manner of "defect," are we forced to contemplate how very many things could go wrong and how very often they all go very right! And we give thanks.

So it is in the Body of Christ. How very many sins and divisions could constantly plague the Body, but how often everything functions as it should...with brothers living faithfully in love for Christ, one another and living sacrificially for the life of the world. And here again, we give thanks.

So, when I say we must change our expectations regarding our brothers, I do not mean that we live in constant anticipation that our brother will fall, anymore than we should assume that something will go wrong with the baby. But neither should we expect or assume that our brother will NOT fall. As with the baby, we must believe that the possibilities for failure are numerous and real and that this reality extends to every member of the body, however seemingly impervious to temptation. In this attitude, we cannot be caught entirely off-guard when our brother sins.

If we truly believe our brothers are sinful and capable of falling, we will be compelled to act on their behalf. We will intercede for them, especially in areas where we perceive their weakness or vulnerability. We will watch over them in such a way that we can help shield them from unnecessary temptation, encourage them in love and good works, build up their weaknesses and discover useful means of service for their strengths so that they remain an integral part of the Body.

In addition to interceding and watching over, we must also be ready to warn, rebuke and restrain when we see that our brother is in danger. If he already knows our love, he will likely receive our admonition willingly and we may snatch him from destruction. But we will never engage in this duty unless we believe our brother a true sinner. We will talk ourselves out of the possibility that he is vulnerable and therefore won't risk alienating him by pointing up his potential pitfalls.

Another word on this subject from Mr. Bonhoeffer's Life Together: "When does sin ever occur in the community that [the Christian] must not examine and blame himself for his own unfaithfulness in prayer and intercession, his lack of brotherly service, of fraternal reproof and encouragement...?"

We have a measure of responsibility for the other members of the Body which we ought to take seriously and execute dutifully. It requires engagement, watchfulness, courage and sacrificial love. When we know and remember our brother's frame, that he is dust, we cease to be shocked when he sins.

The next way I learn to live in the stench of the Ark/Church, is to remember that I myself am one of those brothers made of dust and my own propensity to fall is great. Therefore, I must practice intercession for myself, watch over and guard my own heart diligently, and allow God's Word to illumine my sin and caution me to forsake it. BUT...just as surely as my brother needs my help, I need his! I must be honest enough to allow others to see my weaknesses so they can intercede on my behalf; be willing to be watched over by my brothers; and be humble enough to receive and take to heart their warnings and admonitions which can lead to early repentance, avoiding the grand consequences of more serious sin.

If I am honest about and with my brother and with and about myself, I will be less astonished and more prepared to live in the stench of both his sin and mine.

So I alter my expectations to include the reality that my brother and I will sin...and not just "petty" easily forgiven sins, but BIG, in-your-face, hurtful sins. But when it actually happens, THEN what?

Next time...

7 comments:

Trina Waggoner said...

Forgive, and forgive again, just as HE has forgiven ALL.

jennifer h said...

Then what, indeed. It is so easy to say forgive, and forgive again. The actual doing is much harder, and our frailty and our propensity has an even greater opportunity to shine through when we are in a situation where we are called upon to forgive.

Lord, give us mercy.

Trina Waggoner said...

And FORGIVE. When much has been forgiven and we see ourselves as undone, when we are humbled by our own sinfull nature, having offended and been forgiven, then to FORGIVE is the only option. Tested and tried: It works.

Trina Waggoner said...

I must also say, that when faced with the BIG, in-your-face sin, it really comes down to this: Too not forgive, will change who and what you are, it will change your very soul. It will bring death and distruction even greater than the one who has offended, because in this situation the persons Soul/Life and everyone around them hangs on the ACT of TRUE GODLY FORGIVENESS. Then comes LOVE.

Lori Waggoner said...

Jennifer - so true. Easy to say. VERY difficult to enact!

Sister Trina - Those comments are meaningful coming from YOU! I know you have been on both sides of that forgive and be forgiven equation...in BIG ways. Thanks for the encouragement.

jennifer h said...

I hope you know I was just sharing my own weaknesses. I agree it is really necessary to forgive and then to love those we have forgiven. I just know from personal experience how very hard it is.

We need to talk about (blog about) these sorts of things because we need to preach to ourselves how these truths so that they can become real and we can DO what we are called to do.

Trina Waggoner said...

Amen Sisters, Amen!!I do know, cause we all share that weakness. Yes! One of the most difficult things that WE are called too Do. Pray we pass that "TOO DO" the first time, I did not, and personally the second time SUCKED! But, our God is amazing and His Mercy, He does extend to US in those more difficult situations.