Thursday, October 29, 2009

What's That Stench? Part 1: Even the Righteous Man Sins

The pastors and teachers with whom the Lord has graciously gifted His people, have long recognized Noah's Ark as a symbol of The Church. By faith, we, like Noah, enter that door and are closed safely inside as we pass through the waters to deliverance. Thanks be to God.

But think about it for a moment. For Noah and company, what must it have been like to be shut up for months with a host of animals and with one another, with no escape or respite? Imagine the constant labor to meet all the needs, and then...imagine the stench that must have permeated the place!

So it is inside the ark of The Church. Here we are...shut up together and forced to endure the resulting stench! Remember all those OT references to bodily "issues" which make a man unclean? Ultimately these laws teach us that whatever comes from within a man - that is, from his heart - is unclean. Just as the sight and smell of those bodily issues are repulsive, so is the uncleanness which proceeds from our hearts.

When we consider that individual reality, then multiply it for every occupant of this ship, we have a sense of the corporate, cumulative effect inside the Ark/Church...and it can be staggeringly disgusting.

But wait! Hasn't the one who has been received into the Church been washed and made clean? Has not his heart been transformed and renewed? Indeed it has! But remember that even our righteous deeds are like filthy rags and King Solomon tells us that one of the great mysteries of life is that even the man who has been made righteous, sins!

In Ecclesiastes, Solomon speaks of this mystery as one of the great unsolvable dilemmas of life under the sun. "You cannot find it out." In our desperate struggle to understand this enigma, we will be as frustrated as if we were attempting to "corral the wind". Pastor Jeff Meyers, in his commentary on Ecclesiastes, says this, "Like Solomon, the wise person knows the depravity of man - both his own and others - and learns to live in terms of it. That is the sort of know-how that wisdom brings: the ability to live in a world of sinners, but living in such a world is not the same as being able to explain or comprehend sinful human nature. Even those known as righteous will sin. On some occasions, a righteous man will fail. We cannot afford to forget that there are limitations on all men and women. No one is perfectly wise. All sin.

"The wise man has discovered the ineradicable sinfulness of man and he has learned to deal with people in the light of this truth. Too often, we live in a dream world. We are surprised to discover that someone we love and respect is a sinner. He or she fails us. It may be our husband or wife, our elder or pastor, our good friend or neighbor. Sooner or later you will discover that he, like you, is a sinner. He will fail you. He will surprise you." (Table in the Mist, J.J. Meyers)
In Life Together, Dietrich Bonhoeffer also reminds us: "The pious fellowship permits no one to be a sinner. So everybody must conceal his sin from himself and from the fellowship. We dare not be sinners. Many Christians are unthinkably horrified when a real sinner is suddenly discovered among the righteous." Upon entering the Christian community, he says, "we surely must be overwhelmed by a great disillusionment with others, with Christians in general, and, if we are fortunate, with ourselves. The sooner this shock of disillusionment comes to an individual and to a community, the better."
So...what IS that stench? It's you and me, living side-by-side, sinning in front of and against one another and stinkin' up the place. We might as well get used to it. But HOW do we learn to live in that reality without being continually discouraged and disappointed by the paltry Image of Christ in our brothers? How do we live with the disillusionment and pain caused by these sinners among us?
Next time...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

While Christians still sin, the New Testament constantly refers to us as "saints" - not sinners. As Martyn Lloyd-Jones puts it, "Live out who you are." If we are "IN CHRIST" as the Bible tells us we are, and if we are living like we should be living, then there shouldn't be a "stench". Ephesians 5:8 says "For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: "For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;

Rebekah said...

That last comment is from me, but it came up annonymous for some reason. I love your blog, by the way!! You are so transparant! I wish I could be more like that! -- Becky Rages

Lori Waggoner said...

Hey, Becky! I thought for sure that comment was from your sister, LAURA...quoting Lloyd-Jones and all! Thanks for letting me know it was YOU.

By the way...this IS just part 1! I'll go ahead and clarify this though: we should not daily be engaged in big, public sins that royally smell up the place, but we deceive ourselves if we think our "little" daily offences (which sometimes we don't even recognize or acknowledge) don't stink! And certainly, by grace, we ought to be living reflections of Christ. However...one cannot be familiar with the whole canon of Scripture or have lived long in the fellowship of believers without recognizing that even we saints are not immune to sinning...even in big ways. Hopefully, I'll be able to address your objections more fully in the upcoming 3-4 posts!

Thanks for visiting!

Trina Waggoner said...

I cried...I love you!

Lori Waggoner said...

Thanks, darlin. I love you too.

Rebekah said...

Lori,

My conscience smites me! A while back I left an anonymous comment to which you responded and asked that anonymous commenter to own their comment. It was ME!! I was afraid of getting in over my head, so I just left off, but I should have at least commented back that it was me. Sorry!!

Lori Waggoner said...

Rebekah! Too funny! It was the "ordination" quote, right? I'm just always a little uncomfortable when I don't know to whom I'm speaking. It could be a fundamentalist Baptist from my high school days, it could be a fellow church member now...a college-mate...or a complete stranger who wandered by. When I know WHO is speaking, it's easier to choose my approach to "defending" my view - it helps me know what to leave out and what to address, you know?

I like it when people aren't afraid to disagree with me and require me to challenge my thinking. Occasionally I even discover that I was WRONG!! Gasp...!

Thanks for 'fessing up! I don't recall if I gave a good response or not, so if you care to continue the conversation, let me know!! :-)

Rebekah said...

I think it is hysterical that we are having this whole conversation at THIS post and after MY comment! I did read your "stench, Part 2" and thought it was good. I think we're in agreement on this one, for the most part (I still don't like referring to the church as smelly though :-) I love a good discussion too and would enjoy discussing the previous post I commented on (I think it was something like "does it DO anything"), but not sure when or if I actually will get to that. If I do, I'll comment back at the original post. Thanks for not being mad at me! :-)

Lori Waggoner said...

I'm not finished with the "stench" series yet...hang with me.

The original post was about baptism and was entitled "But Does it DO Anything?" If you find time, I'm happy to go back to it...if not, just rest in the fact that one day you will agree with me and then you'll be RIGHT! :-)

Laura said...

Hey you two. I have to leave a comment. I try to always read Lori's blog but recently I've been lax in that department. I love your blog too Lori but I promise I'll always put my name to a comment so don't think its me if it doesn't have a name. :) Also I'm going to have to take the time to read the comments. :) Anyway while I'm in the comment section I have to say I'm so glad you had some "bad" things to say about Lewis's Problem of Pain. All I can say is FINALLY I've found someone else who agrees with me on that point. Okay just had to chime in on the conversation. :)