Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cowboy Church

Heading north on Highway 55, a beautiful Cardinal-red Dodge Ram pickup caught my eye as I passed by.  Adhered to the window behind the driver's head was a decal advertising the "Cape County Cowboy Church." 


This triggered, in my slightly-disturbed psyche, a lengthy meditation on what a cowboy church might be like.

Are all its members tall, tan, muscular males who swagger about in leather boots, Wranglers and 10-gallon Stetsons?

Do they all possess that charm which is singular to real cowboys...with their country drawls, "Yes, Ma'ams", sly grins and that inevitable twinkle in their eyes?

Dang.  I might even be willing to abandon Covenant Renewal Worship to attend a church like that

Speaking of worship...I wonder what it's like there?  I suppose they sing things like:

Friends in High Places
(to the tune of Garth's Friends in Low Places)
I've got Friends in High Places
Where the Father dwells and the Son chases
My gloom away...I'll be OK.
'Cause I've been saved by faith and grace is
The only way to the True Oasis,
Oh, I've got Friends in High Places.

Or maybe the Call to Confession takes this form:
All You Sinners
(to the tune of Desperado)
All you sinners,
Why don't you come to your senses?
You've been called to repentance
For so long now.
Your sins are many
Get on your knees and confess them
Those demons that are temptin' you
Will just bring you down.
Don't you doubt the power of Satan
He'll trip you if he's able
So the cross of Christ is always your best bet.
It's true your sin's forgiven
Yeah, it's more than just a fable
If you only trust the One who paid your debt.

Or perhaps following the sermon - "If a man takes your chaps, give him your spurs also" - they sing:

Grape Juice for My Men
(to the tune of Toby Keith's Whiskey for My Men)
'Cause mercy is the one thing
You should always find,
You gotta forgive each other,
Gotta renew your mind;
When a brother repents
We'll sing a victory tune
And we'll all meet back at the chapel real soon.
We'll share the Lord's Supper
Give thanks with rejoicin'
Singin' Grape juice for my men,
Oats for our horses.

All I know is...if this city girl is anywhere near Oak Ridge, MO, on a Sunday, she'll be pullin' on her jeans with "plastic" cowgirl boots and stoppin' in to join her voice  with theirs in authentic country style!  Afterall...the Apostle Paul isn't the only one who can be "all things to all people."

Actually...though I let my imagination wander and am poking a bit of fun, I must say that the REAL Cape County Cowboy Church website indicates that, while they may not be exactly traditional, they ARE quite orthodox! Check 'em out here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori- you NEED to come out and visit me! This is pretty much like it is at our church. Our hat rack it full of cowboy hats on Sunday morning and just for the record- wearing your spurs to church is not "socially" accepted. Bob has pretty much given up his suit. (He was the only one wearing one) and jeans are the preferred attire- but only clean and pressed sharply. Pick-ups and horse trailers are driven in, because they will have to check their cattle either coming in or going home. You would love it here- well at least for a visit. Loved your article and I just may have to copy the words for the songs - for the "kicks and grins" of it all. Love you! Marcia Townsend

Lori Waggoner said...

Glad you were amused by the post. I never heard of such a thing, and here you are LIVING IT!

I would love to come see you someday. Maybe when the boys are in college I'll have a little more freedom. Thanks for stopping by. :-)

jennifer h said...

Lori,

More than one "cowboy" church met in hotel ballrooms along Interstate 40 in Oklahoma.

Lori Waggoner said...

Hotel ballrooms?? Seriously?! What a strange combination...