Monday, April 26, 2010

Leisurely Woman's Daybook

Outside my window...it is dark (as it should be at 1am), rainy and unseasonably cool.

From the kitchen...I learned this from my Grandma Waggoner years ago and it's always a big hit with my boys who have yet to discover the joy of eating pie! 

Roll out leftover pie crust dough onto a non-stick cookie sheet...smear lavishly with butter, then sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture (or cinnamon-Splenda works too!!).  Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.  Cut in squares and devour.  Dangerously addictive. 

Around the house...the hub fixed the dryer.  The duct work was nice and clean, but a bird or two had taken up residence in the outtake and it was absolutely crammed full of twigs, grasses, etc.  And boy did it SMELL!!  I was hoping to do it myself because it would provide material for the blog...but now that it's complete, I'm kinda glad I don't have to mess with it!  Thanks, Shaf.

A favorite thing...my automatic icemaker.  Simple.  Common.  I know.  But I use it half a dozen times a day and never have to refill trays...which is almost as tedious as emptying the dishwasher!

I am thinking...that I am going to replace the Leisurely Woman's Daybook with one of two options:  Midwest Mondays - in which I will highlight one of many quaint little towns approximate to St. Louis...cafes, people, architecture, etc. - OR Local Comestibles - in which I will feature one of dozens of eateries within a 5-mile radius of my house.  There must be hundreds...literally.  Any suggestions?

I am wearing...my "jamamas" as the boys used to call them...because I ought to be sleeping!

I am hearing...AA Bondy...as introduced to me by my young friend, Annie.  He's sort of Bob Dylan meets Johnny Cash...sort of. 

I am reading...Still laboring through The Trivium

I am creating...Outwardly, I am still working on that baby afghan (and planning to finish THIS WEEK!)...Inwardly, I am designing a baptismal gown, coat and blanket...as well as a baby quilt/comforter.  Don't know which one I'll tackle next.

I am thankful for...William Hoover.  Sorry to embarrass you, Bill, but it's true.  Bill is The Musician at PRPC - organist, pianist, choir director, children's music director, composer, etc.  You name it, he does it...and he does it WELL...year after year after year.  

A photo/video I am sharing:  Redneck yard swing

8 comments:

annie said...

Hey, I'm glad that you like AA Bondy. He was on tour with Elvis Perkins last year but they didn't come to St. Louis. Speaking of Elvis Perkins, you might like him, too. His latest album, Dearland, made it on to quite a few "best of 20009" lists. It is great.

Lori Waggoner said...

My husband will demand that I stop fraternizing with you if you keep introducing me to new music that I like! That monthly i-Tunes bill is bad enough as it is!

Anonymous said...

I concur with the accolades for one William Hoover, a very gifted and talented man. What are you doing up so late? Oh, I agree with you on icemakers. Did a woman invent them? Joanie

Lori Waggoner said...

Up late? 1AM is late? Joanie...

Did a woman invent them? Either that or the husband who got tired of hearing her complain about the unfilled ice trays!

MeeMaw YaYa said...

Nice post, Lori. A few comments:

Leftover pie dough. Childhood flashback. In my house, that little side concoction was called a "toady." No, I don't know why, but my brother had toady radar and it was usually gone before anyone else got any.

Paragraph 11, Bill Hoover: Amen, sister!

Last photo: how dare you post a picture of my front yard without permission.

Lori Waggoner said...

Franda...yet another commonality in our backgrounds. Uptight, independent fundys of the world...UNITE!

Seriously though. You guys did the same thing with the pie dough? I've never known anyone who did that except my G'ma! Cool.

Sorry about the photo. You'll get the royalties you deserve...from my 8 whole "followers"! ;-/

MeeMaw YaYa said...

Re: pie dough. Almost yes, to answer your question. Most of the time after putting the good stuff on the rolled-out dough, mom rolled it into a crescent-shaped tube then baked. Decadent.

Lori Waggoner said...

You know, come to think of it...my grandma always rolled hers too...into a log, then sliced and baked. I lazily discarded that step years ago and had forgotten all about it!